Circuit Breaker Keeps Tripping - 1.0 HP Hayward motor

marsui

Jun 12, 2016
West Babylon, NY
My 1.0HP century/A.O. Smith pool motor has recently started randomly tripping the circuit.

I have a 20amp circuit, but I also tried it on a separate 15amp circuit with a GFCI, regardless of which one it randomly trips the circuit, happened once yesterday, then ran fine all night. Today when my plug in timer turned on, motor tripped breaker immediately.

Through my testing, sometimes it happens as soon as the motor turns on, sometimes it runs for a bit, then shuts off, no blockages to be seen, just stops randomly.

I eliminated the timer from the equation and it still occurs. The motor is a little over a year old, purchased in march 2022:

Bad capacitor maybe? The motor draws 11amps.

My 1.0HP century/A.O. Smith pool motor has recently started randomly tripping the circuit.

I have a 20amp circuit, but I also tried it on a separate 15amp circuit with a GFCI, regardless of which one it randomly trips the circuit, happened once yesterday, then ran fine all night. Today when my plug in timer turned on, motor tripped breaker immediately.

Through my testing, sometimes it happens as soon as the motor turns on, sometimes it runs for a bit, then shuts off, no blockages to be seen, just stops randomly.

I eliminated the timer from the equation and it still occurs. The motor is a little over a year old, purchased in march 2022:

Bad capacitor maybe? The motor draws 11amps.
Be sure that you don't have a leaking shaft seal. Those tiny motors seem to be very sensitive when water gets into them. Also, be sure there are no sprinklers spraying water on the motor.

Reactions: marsui
Standard breakers trip for two reasons, instantaneous overcurrent or time overcurrent. The GFCI will also trip for a third reason, the current flow is imbalanced, meaning current is flowing where it shouldn't. Since the trips are random, I would suspect loose connections, which will increase current flow, or you have an intermittent short caused from pump vibration. I would begin by looking at all the electrical connections, to check for loose wires, this begins at the breaker up to and including the motor terminals. Also look for signs of arcing, which would lead to a short circuit.

• Love
Reactions: plnewb and marsui
What attracts me to TFP is the focus on following the scientific process and collecting data. My recommendation in this case is to:

1. Put a logging energy monitor that's connected to the motor
2. Put an audio recorder (could be an app on a phone)

around the time when the motor is known to trip and look at the data and listen to the recording. Is there a sound of water spraying just before the breaker trips? Is there a sudden surge in current draw just before the breaker trips?

Was there a warranty on the motor?

Be sure that you don't have a leaking shaft seal. Those tiny motors seem to be very sensitive when water gets into them. Also, be sure there are no sprinklers spraying water on the motor.
This was the cause, I noticed water running along the bottom of my motor towards the removable cover area, I'm assuming water was getting in.

I changed the seal and all is well in the world.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.