zandra898

Jul 26, 2023
Washington DC
I'm sorry - I know this has been addressed before - I'm just struggling here to choose.

We purchased a home in Washington DC and I will finally fulfill my long time dream of having a pool!

The pool is in desperate need of re-surfacing. It is a simple rectangular pool, about 26 feet in length, about 8 feet at its deepest.

I am trying the choose between Blue Granite, Blue Surf, Slate Blue, French Grey and Aqua Blue. Looking for a beautiful rich medium colored blue.

I am attaching a photo of the pool as it is now. I actually think it's a pretty color as it is now - not sure what Pebble Sheen color would come closest.

Thank you very much in advance for any opinions, photos etc!

Attachments

• IMG_9252.jpg
    IMG_9252.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: jcalvano

The problem of course, is that the color you see on the sample, is not the color things will be when water is added.

The best best to to see if your installer will take you to some of his old jobs, so that you can get an idea of what the color will look like after water is added.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can narrow your selections down a bit, Slate Blue or Cool Blue is going to be the closest to that Mediterranean look you're going for. Blue Granite, Aqua Blue, and Blue Surf are definitely going to be a bit darker.

We have pebblesheen slate blue - my husband didn’t want any green cast in it. It looks greyish in shallow waters and is a beautiful light-medium blue and was impossible to find pictures of it beforehand! Remember the depth will determine how dark/rich the color gets. Slate blue comes standard with abalone/shimmering sea so that’s a plus. Adding a few pics in different lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_4551.jpeg
    IMG_4551.jpeg
    483.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4547.jpeg
    IMG_4547.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4559.jpeg
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    682.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4606.jpeg
    IMG_4606.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: Jskaplan33
I love our Slate Blue. It was worth the ~$1500 upcharge vs the basic choices, such as Blue Surf (which would have been my "Level 1" choice) Have you been quoted an upcharge?

Your pool is currently in rough shape. Any choice you make is going to look amazing.

There's a bunch of blue surf in my profile if you click on media. Pics are hard though since there are so many variables. I feel it is a bit lighter than I would have hoped but we like it.

We have pebblesheen slate blue - my husband didn’t want any green cast in it. It looks greyish in shallow waters and is a beautiful light-medium blue and was impossible to find pictures of it beforehand! Remember the depth will determine how dark/rich the color gets. Slate blue comes standard with abalone/shimmering sea so that’s a plus. Adding a few pics in different lighting.
Thank you - it looks beautiful!

I love our Slate Blue. It was worth the ~$1500 upcharge vs the basic choices, such as Blue Surf (which would have been my "Level 1" choice) Have you been quoted an upcharge?

Your pool is currently in rough shape. Any choice you make is going to look amazing.

Very true - ANY choice we make is going to look so much better than it is now! But I have waited half a century to have a pool - I want to get it right! Yes Blue Granite would be the cheapest, followed by Blue Surf (of Blue Smurf as I see people like to call it) and then Slate Blue being the most expensive. We have only a tiny sun shelf, then it goes to about 8 feet deep at the far end I believe. Gets a lot of light as the sun moves East to West. I definitely don't want too dark of a blue, but not too light either. My husband is worried the shallow end will look too grey, and is leaning towards Blue Surf for that reason, but I am wondering if that might be 'too blue'. Sigh.

We thought Blue Surf was “too blue”, especially at the Sunshelf. Slate blue shelf is grey, but that’s a good thing IMO.

My pool gets a ton of sun and I would describe the color as a medium blue. Definitely not too dark.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a “too blue” blue (Pebbletec Pebblefina Bella Blue) but one thing I really like about it is when the sun shines on it, it looks like it’s illuminated from below, like the water is glowing. It’s very pleasing to look at from the house or yard. Just another data point.

We have a “too blue” blue (Pebbletec Pebblefina Bella Blue) but one thing I really like about it is when the sun shines on it, it looks like it’s illuminated from below, like the water is glowing. It’s very pleasing to look at from the house or yard. Just another data point.
I had to make a decision - and I chose Slate Blue - but there is still time to change my mind lol! I just hope it won't look to dull or too grey!!

Reactions: SoDel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.