Paxcou

Feb 10, 2020
NJ (shore)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a very old pool pump. It's leaking slightly and I want to replace it for next season. It's old and I cannot see any brand, model number etc... how can I select a new pump. Do you have any advice ? My pool is in ground, 16.0000 gallons, 9 feet deep in the deep end. I have a Hayward sand finger and use liquid chlorine. Your advice is very welcome !

If it is that old, it is most likely a single speed pump. Post a picture of it.
You should replace it with a variable speed pump. There are higher price models from Pentair, Hayward, etc or lower price models from Calimar, black & decker, etc.
Show a picture of your current equipment pad.

Pax,

In the old days, it was somewhat important to match your pump to your pool and filter...

Just not how it is today.. Today, you just buy a VS pump and match the speed to your pool and filter.

The bigger the VS pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

An example... I run a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month. I have a SWCG, so I like making a little chlorine all the time, and skimming all the time.

Here is a link to a great website where you can find info on many pool pumps..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Brazillianguy
Unless you have some unusual water features or other high requirement water demands, a pump rated anywhere between 1.5 - 2 HP should work well. Of course no single speed motor/pumps, and even 2-speeds are getting more difficult to find. A variable speed pump may be your best option. They are much more popular, energy efficient, and for some states a VSP is mandatory. Google Calimar and/or Black & Deck VSPs as a starting point. Keep in mind your voltage supply to the pad as well (120 or 240). Hope that helps.

Reactions: Paxcou
If you go with a single speed or dual speed, you will likely have to use a pump <1 THP because of DOE regs and I probably wouldn't go much higher than that given the filter flow requirement of 62 GPM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pax,

In the old days, it was somewhat important to match your pump to your pool and filter...

Just not how it is today.. Today, you just buy a VS pump and match the speed to your pool and filter.

The bigger the VS pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water.

An example... I run a 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pump 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month. I have a SWCG, so I like making a little chlorine all the time, and skimming all the time.

Here is a link to a great website where you can find info on many pool pumps..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, So just wanted to ask for my clarification. So If I currently have a 1HP Single stage pump. I could get a Pentair Intelliflo VSF 3 HP ? Regardless of my filter? PVC tubing ? How would you determine the flow rate etc? So that it gets the right flow for the pool (filter etc) ?

Yes, a VS pump is variable so you can set it to any speed you need to. In fact, most of the time, the members here with VS pumps run at much slower flow rates that the filter maximums. Filters generally work better at slower flow rates.

How would you determine the flow rate etc? So that it gets the right flow for the pool (filter etc) ?
Guy,

I suspect you want to know the flow rate so you can calculate your turnovers.. If that is true, then you are worried about a myth... :mrgreen:

The idea that you need X turnovers a day, to prevent algae, is just not true. Your pool stays clear and sanitized by your chemicals, not the number of times water passes through the filter. In fact, by the time your filter starts capturing algae, you have already lost the algae war... :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you want to know flow rate to keep it below the filter maximum, some VS pumps like the Inteliflo show flow rate. But if you just operate at the lowest RPM where skimming is still effective, you won't have to worry about that because the flow rate will be well below the filter maximum.

I am replacing my pump. I am checking the voltage.
I opened it as seen on the picture. When I measure between the black cable on the top and the green one I measure 118v. When I measure between the green and the black at the bottom I got 121v. I assume that the voltage coming to the pump is therefore 230v, am I right ? And if yes I should but a 230v pump.

I am trying to find a reliable but on the cheaper end variable pump. The current one is 2hp model. I asked few months ago suggestions, but I'm wondering if new suggestions would come too.

Thanks for your support for this 2 questions in one post.
1000042965.jpg

It appears you have 2 hots and a ground (220v). Test the 2 black wires L1 to L2 to verify.

If so, you're clear for takeoff with a 220v replacement.

I still like the calimar 3HP VS.