ChlorX to decrease chlorine need?

MLHinDFW

Silver Supporter
Dec 1, 2022
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Has anyone heard of a ChlorX filter media that goes into the pump filter to decrease the amount of chlorine needed? Cost is around $100. I understand there is a blue one for pool sizes up to 15,000 gallons and a black one for >15,000 gallons. The maintenance guy who started up our pool told me about it, but I haven’t been able to find one.

I’d appreciate any info!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of pool gimmicks out there that do nothing or can cause long-term damage, and this sounds like one of those.

I struck out on a google search, but do you know what exactly is in this filter media? You hear those claims with "mineral" systems but I have not seen any that deal with your filter.

Reactions: MLHinDFW
There's a lot of money in convincing people that "more chlorine is more bad". Just look at all the products making claims to be able to keep chlorine levels lower, always at a considerable price.

The safest and most comfortable pool is one that follows the FC/CYA Levels we teach here. None of that itch, rashes, smell, burning eyes, etc that gets blamed on chlorine.

MLH,

All magic but no rabbit!!!

You need to take a good read through out Pool School so you can understand that more chlorine, using the TFP pool care process, is better than too little. And safer too..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: MLHinDFW
Tidbit #27494 I learned here is that Chlorox leases it's name for pool chemicals and has nothing else to do with them. Evidentally, when your household name is synonymous with disinfecting, any product with it on the label will sell millions and millions.

Their CYA is pure, but avoid any other 'chlorox products' at all costs.

You mean this stuff (pic)? Just pool DE, used in all DE filters. Nothing special about it. Lots of DE brands, chlorox is just one. Will not reduce chlorine usage. We recommend it when people are in the late stages of a slam to help a sand filter clear the water. Not a necessary tool for everyday.
1686768350500.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't be scared; copper stains aren't that bad.

👽 Gozorp from planet Zoltar 7 thinks it looks nice.

full

Another “Benefit” of copper is that people’s hair will turn green, especially blondes.

Then, your pool guy will sell you $300.00 worth of Culator packs to fix the copper problem that they created in the first place.

But, surprise, they don’t work and now you have to drain your pool to get rid of the copper.

You mean this stuff (pic)? Just pool DE, used in all DE filters. Nothing special about it. Lots of DE brands, chlorox is just one. Will not reduce chlorine usage. We recommend it when people are in the late stages of a slam to help a sand filter clear the water. Not a necessary tool for everyday.
View attachment 503843

That stuff appears to have some other stuff in it, since it says it removes metals from the water. Maybe has a sequestrant or clarifier in it. Hence the + “filter aid”

Reactions: PoolStored
If it ain't recommended, don't put it in...

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.