Chlorox brand PH down

More "pool lady" fun....

The pool lady stopped by yesterday with a bag of stabilizer, since her first (contaminated) test measured zero CYA. (My cheapie test kit doesn't have a CYA test)

I told her I wanted her to test my CYA again before we added any stabilizer. So she gets out a plain white bottle (looks about the size of a shampoo bottle), and fills it with water from my pool and puts the lid on. I said, "Did you rinse that out a couple times?" She says, "No, it's ok, it's a NEW bottle." ROFL. As if a new bottle is perfectly clean and doesn't have any residue from the factory. I just shook my head.

Later, she txt me and says, "Your CYA is 31".

ME: "Ok, where did you leave that bag of stabilizer? I'll add a little to bring it up."

HER: "I took the bag with me, but you don't need any. 31 is good."

Now, I'm still in pool school, but everything I've read here, says CYA needs to be 70-80, right? (my FC 4 right now) Yes she knows my pool is saltwater. She sold the pool to me. She has run and owned a pool store for 10 years. I would think she knows what she is doing, but we already know she doesn't know how to take a water sample properly, so I donno.

My TF-100 should be here Friday or Saturday. Should I just wait until that comes before I do anything? Or should I take a water sample to a different pool store and have them test CYA?

Wait for your kit. Pool stores are terrible at testing for CYA most of the time. It's also one of the more difficult tests to do at home, but your result will still be better. I would start with a CYA of 60-70 and work it up from there but before you go there, get your test kit and post a full set of results when you do.

I think at this point you need to call that lady up and politely tell her that her routine care service is no longer needed and that you'll be taking care of the pool yourself. I know that's not an easy conversation to have but her coming by, perhaps unannounced, is only going to cause you more grief and she is liable to add something to the pool that you do not want., PhosFree, algaecides, etc.

Just fire her and be done with it. Like an old band aid, you just gotta take a deep breathe and pull it off really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got a 19$ ph meter sold on amazon, but frankly its not like it saves time... the chlorine, salt cya etc tests will take up most of the time and meters for those are probably hundreds or more...

i got a 19$ ph meter sold on amazon, but frankly its not like it saves time... the chlorine, salt cya etc tests will take up most of the time and meters for those are probably hundreds or more...

There are no direct probes for chlorine. The best you can do is ORP and that is typically very sensitive to pH, TA and TDS. There are FC probes that can measure hypochlorous acid but the CYA buffering the chlorine would make those probes read very low all the time and give you a false impression that your chlorine is low. They are also super-expensive (hundreds of dollars). There is no probe for CYA, only the drop test. As for salt, the best you can do is TDS and that measures the conductivity from all ionic species, not just sodium.

There are probably a hundred threads on TFP that discuss probes. The net result is that, for almost all tests, probes are more expensive, can potentially cause false results and give a measure of precision that is simply not necessary for pool water.

Stick to the Taylor drops, they work the best for the widest range of pool types and pool owners.

I think at this point you need to call that lady up and politely tell her that her routine care service is no longer needed and that you'll be taking care of the pool yourself. I know that's not an easy conversation to have but her coming by, perhaps unannounced, is only going to cause you more grief and she is liable to add something to the pool that you do not want., PhosFree, algaecides, etc.

Just fire her and be done with it.
I agree with this advice. My fear would be her stopping by and adding something. Plus, when sh has a car full of coffee cups filled with water, how does she know whose pool it came from;)

I agree with this advice. My fear would be her stopping by and adding something. Plus, when sh has a car full of coffee cups filled with water, how does she know whose pool it came from;)

Oh that's easy, his was the mocha-chino latte with extra whip and his neighbor was the salted caramel-pecan decaf frappucino...

:D

I woke up today an emailed TF for a tracking number on my test kit. A few minutes later it was on my door step! Woo hoo!

Here it is:

20150604_111417-1.jpg

So far I've only tested my FC and PH:

20150604_111807-1.jpg

Hard to tell from picture but my ph looks to be around 7.5-7.8. FC looks a little high, around 5.

My SW chlorine generator has been running about 15-25% and my intelliflow has been running 24/7 on speed 1 or 2. So I should turn down the chlorine gen to 10% or so?

The pool lady was right about one thing. My CYA is right about 30. I'll add some stabilizer and retest tomorrow?

What is the next thing I should check with my new chemistry set?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need less shadows to read that pH test. Either get the paper further away or use the blue sky as a background.

As you raise the CYA, your FC is going to rise more .. likely you will need to cut down on your pump run time, which is quite excessive anyways. See: Determine Pump Run Time

Well that is some wonderful service. Write and email and it shows up! LOL

Try the power test for FC this time.

Test your Alkalinity also.

FUN TIMES!

Kim

Yesterday we had swimmers in the pool for a good 6 hours. This morning, I tested my FC using the drop method, and used my little speed stir. On the 7th drop the water turned totally clear, so my FC is about 3.5. I like this test much better.

This morning, my PH seems to have dropped to about 7.3. Not sure why. I tested it twice.
*EDIT. For the first time last night, I turned off my pump. So the pool sat still all night. I turned the pump on this morning and let it run 30 minutes before testing. Maybe that is why the PH is lower?

The TA test took 6 drops to turn red, so my TA is 60. That's at the bottom of the suggested level, which could explain the PH falling? Should I go to the pool store and get something to raise my alkalinity and PH a bit?

My CYA raised to about 40 after adding a little stabilizer yesterday.

beaker.jpg

Here is some more "pool lady" news. I took your advice, and I emailed her and told her that I would be taking care of my own pool. Then I said, "On a side note, you mentioned to me that a CYA of 31 was GOOD for my pool. I have a saltwater pool, so I believe the CYA should be in the 60-80 range?"

She replied, "I have not forgotten you have saltwater! We go by the APSP." And then she sent me this chart:

apsp.jpg

I replied and asked if that chart was for saltwater. She replied, "Every salt system as different readings."

***? That response doesn't even make sense to me. Is she going by some different method than what you guys use here at TFP? Or is she just totally off her rocker? Is she using a freshwater chart and thinks it works for saltwater too?

I promise after today I will not bore you with pool lady drama any more. In fact, I'm done communicating with her!

First, understand that there are multiple "correct" ways to maintain a pool. We just like to think our way is more correct.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to mix and match pool care methods. Every pool store you go to is gone to have a slightly different, OK vastly different chart on "correct" water readings. Most just tell you keep FC in the 1 - 3 range and totally ignore the effects of CYA.

Stick with Pool School and you water will be beautiful!

Yeah we are THE BEST!

Read this: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It will tell you what to add or do for each part of your water.

You do not need to go buy ANYTHING at the pool store. It can all be bought for MUCH cheaper at Walmart and such.

Oh and please DO tell us more pool lady stories! They are fun to read and try to figure out what she it thinking (or not thinking). LOL

Let us know what else we can help you with.

Kim

Yeah we are THE BEST!

Read this: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It will tell you what to add or do for each part of your water.

You do not need to go buy ANYTHING at the pool store. It can all be bought for MUCH cheaper at Walmart and such.

Oh and please DO tell us more pool lady stories! They are fun to read and try to figure out what she it thinking (or not thinking). LOL

Let us know what else we can help you with.

Kim

Yes , Kim, you guys are the best.

So to raise my TA up to 80, I'll add a little baking soda. If my TA is 60 and my pool is 13.5K gallons, how much should I add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.