Chloromax Texhnology?

Chem Geek, or others,

What are the effects of using the new Chlorox Performance bleach in my 28,000 gallon pool? There apparently have polymers added to "Cleans and Protects surfaces, conditions surfaces by reducing soil adhesion". I bought about 8 or 9 cases of three bottles each a couple of weeks ago. I already used 3 or 4 cases, and have five cases left. Any thoughts on past use of about 10 bottles, and what to do with 15?

Thanks,

Jeff

Found the same thing at the new Costco in North Dallas. I usually just grab the bleach where ever I'm shopping. Put the first box in my cart and decided I better check the strength - was the new 6% stuff - prices were about the same though - just put it back. Will have to stop back by WalMart for the Pool Essentials if they still have it or Great Value. Of if I make it by HD or Loewes first will see if they have some 10% that isn't very old.

I buy my 12.5% shock from TheGreatEscape stores in the Chicago area. The price jumped from $10 a case of four jugs which it has been for years to $12 a case this year..a 20% increase...still not too bad I guess. Maybe something happened in the chlorine market this year???

So I use to buy at Lowe's it was always fresh and $4 a gallon. Then I get $15 off $50 coupons online and was out the door with 13 gallons of 10% for like $38. Pretty much the best I could do around here. Then they went up to just under $5 a gallon so I started shopping around at pool stores, chemical supply houses, grocery stores etc... Everyone seemed high and was told by several people that their cost had just gone up or was about to and they were passing it along to the customer... not sure if it is just a regional thing but It seems to be happening here across all stores for bleach.

I write Chlorox:
URGENT: I've been buying Chlorox Bleach for my 28,000 gallon swimming pool for quite a few years. It has been 8.25% bleach. And I've been using it for years.

Well, I just purchased some new bleach (Chlorox Performance) a couple of weeks ago, and after using it, discovered it was a lower percentage 6.05% but for the same price.

And that it contains polymers.

What are the effects of using it in my pool, now that I've purchased it? What will happen, since I've used about 9 or 12 bottles? And can I continue to use the remaining 15 bottles.

Second, please pass on my displeasure at Chlorox lowering the percentage of bleach, yet charging the customer the same price.

But please let me know if I can safely use the remaining 15 bottles, and the effect on my swimming pool of using the 9 or 12 bottles already.

Chlorox "answers", Response By Email (Jessenia) (08/04/2017 03:17 PM)
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for taking time to reach out to us.

We wanted to reassure you that we are still working towards providing you with the most up-to-date information available. While we are gathering this information for you, please let us know if there is anything else you would like to share. We value your patience in this matter and look forward to answering your concern.

Sincerely,

Clorox Consumer Services

I also was disappointed to see the more expensive, less potent, 6% Clorox bleach at Sam's and was concerned what the "other" ingredients might do to my pool. I could not find the specific ingredients, but did find this on the Clorox web site:
"CLOROMAX™ is our patented technology of polymers that:
• Helps reduce soil adhesion to surfaces..."
Has anyone used this stuff with no bad effects to their pool?

Sorry for necroposting. However, we just recently over the last couple of months realized they switched formulas at our Sam's Clubs. We have been wondering why our Endless Pool water is now soapy-ish/sudsy. I think now know why.

Ugh

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This whole Clorox Bleach thing is a bummer. I used the Walmart generic stuff at 8.25% for a long time (Value Bleach, or something like that, with no scent). Worked fine, but then switched to just buying Chlorox at Sams at 8.25%. Had to put up with tearing down the boxes and getting rid of those, which adds to the chore a tad, but no big deal.

With Clorox now being back at 6% with whatever other junk is in it, I'm switching to the Home Depot liquid shock. Basically the same price at about 9 - 10 dollars per 3 gallons, BUT it's 10% bleach. Like everybody here, I worry it's being stored outside in the heat, and there always seems to be an issue with availability. They won't order more of them at the store when they haven't gotten ride of the old dusty bottles on the bottom of the stack, because they are like 6 months old or more. Tried to have a talk with them about the fact that bleach decays, and they need to purge the old stock, but I don't think they understand, or care.

Incidently, our HD had a few pallets of really old liquid "shock". They were SUPER old, and selling them at 49 cents per gallon. I tried a few and got almost NO measurable result in the pool. They were really old, like more than 2 years. Not worth the time to haul them home...

I just threw in a few pucks in my feeder to bring up the CYA a bit closer to the 50 ppm rather than the 40 I usually operate at. Going to see if that gradually reduces my chlorine consumption. I use a pump that puts in about .6 gallons every night, and can measure the result in ORP from my controller in millivolts, which usually for me runs around 690 to 700 lately.

I wish somebody sold bulk bleach at reasonable prices in 5 gallon containers ??? Even though about a business converting peoples pools to an automated system with automatic addition of bleach for sanitizer and carbon dioxide for acid. My pool is such and runs without a lot of input from me. Other than hauling bleach and carbon dioxide bottles (very heavy).

Bet ytou are right. Food Lion Grocery had 8.25% home brand at $2.99. Stock now gone and out of it in warehouse. Seems product getting some sort of packaging change. Bet neighbor when it comes back in stock it'll be 6%. GRRRRR!!!

Ugh I just realized today that the bleach has changed. Always get it at Costco. I’ve put in 10 or so bottles by now. Any response from Clorox as to what to do to get these polymers out of the pool and whether it’s safe to swim in them? Or if they are going to screw up my filter or pump? Ugh. Just UGH

I bought like 16 boxes of Clorox bleach at Costco at the beginning of the season to shock the pool and supplement chlorine until I could get my SWG working. Once I saw this whole Chloromax issue I returned it all but I had to plead my case because they didn’t want to take it all back…think they thought I was one of those COVID hoarders! 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.