Chlorine went from 2.5 to 22.5 after adding 28 oz. of bleach....Why?

BrentATL

Jul 15, 2021
Homosassa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This is my first week of doing my own pool maintenance and I'm not sure where I went wrong.
I use the TF-100 kit. 10,800 IGP
SWG set to 70%, pump has been running for 24 hours since adding items listed below.

Prior to adding what was recommended by the Pool Math App, this is what my number were:
FC - 2.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 50
CH -225
CYA - 0
Salt - 2600
Temp - 86

App recommended adding the following:
8.5 lbs dry stabilizer (Rx Clear Stabilizer and Conditioner)
32 oz Baking Soda (Arm & Hammer - Pure)
28 oz Bleach (10% Chlorinating Liquid, Pool Essentials)
20 lbs of salt (Diamond Crystal Solar Naturals)

These are my numbers now:
FC - 22.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 80
CH - 225
CYA - 55
Salt - 3200
Temp - 87

I added everything at the same time (stabilizer took 14 hours to dissolve in front of the jets).
Where do you think I went wrong?
Should I reduce my SWG output to 0 or somewhere in between?
Having family come on Wednesday, so hopefully I can resolve this and have a safe pool to swim in.
Thanks!!

Was your SWCG operating with a Salt of 2600ppm?
Appears you added salt which kicked on your SWCG what you set at 70% and ran for 24 hrs and also added LC. All of that would drive up FC.
It is always best to add chemicals in stages - i.e. waiting 30 mins or more between additions.

Was your SWCG operating with a Salt of 2600ppm?
Appears you added salt which kicked on your SWCG what you set at 70% and ran for 24 hrs and also added LC. All of that would drive up FC.
It is always best to add chemicals in stages - i.e. waiting 30 mins or more between additions.
Yes, the SWG was operating at 2600. After adding the 20 lbs, it switched to "High Salt" and shut off. 2 Hours later it was back on and my reading was 3200 (via test kit and SWG display).
I have turned the SWG off and will continue to monitor the FC levels.
Thanks for your help!

If your swg is the one with a cell similar to the T-15 cell it adds about 11 ppm per day to your water with the settings you list. Then the gallon of bleach (guessing 10%) is another 9+ ppm plus you started with 2.5 ppm so that definitely gets you close to the 22.5 ppm. Looks like @HermanTX is spot on. What cell do you have?

If your swg is the one with a cell similar to the T-15 cell it adds about 11 ppm per day to your water with the settings you list. Then the gallon of bleach (guessing 10%) is another 9+ ppm plus you started with 2.5 ppm so that definitely gets you close to the 22.5 ppm. Looks like @HermanTX is spot on. What cell do you have?
My cell is the Hayward TCELL940 and 10% bleach is correct.
Looks like I forgot to account for the Cell. 😬

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.