Chlorine Questions

Bama Rambler said:
The "scratches" are most likely just deposits left on the plaster. You'll probably be able to rub them out.

Thanks. Sounds easy enough to fix.

Passed the overnight test last night. Lost 1FC and had 0.5CC so it looks like i can stop shocking the pool now, which is a relief as my pump has been going none stop for 5 days and my bins are full of chlorine boxes.

The water is looking very clear though. Amazing to think that last saturday my submersible pump disappeared from sight when it got lowered into a murky green swamp.

I estimate I've spent about $100 on chlorine, $80 on a testkit, and another $70 on pump and 200ft hose to reach the sewer clear-out at the front of the property. So $250 to clear a pool, and have the tools to maintain it indefinitely. Solid bargain.

I am very positive about all this. Having never owned a pool up until a couple of years ago, this past week has been a great experience.

The pump and hose were a bit of an unexpected expense because the home depot rental pump would have caused our clear-out to overflow at 60 gallons per minute, but not too expensive and i'm sure they'll come in handy again. The testkit combined with BBB method promoted on this forum will hopefully save me having to spend hundreds of dollars in junk chemicals.

But it's mainly the fact that i now feel somewhat i control of the pool. Before finding this forum i felt at the mercy of what i KNEW was sales and marketing junk designed to lure me into a suite of products and then keep bleeding my wallet dry. I basically threw things at the pool and hoped it worked. Now i feel kinda in control of it. A week ago i had a plan to follow the 'green swamp into oasis' thread and the 'shock your pool' lesson, and everything has played out just as the threads and pool calculator predicted.

Ted - i backwashed at the beginning once the pool was refilled to get the circulation going, and once during the shock - i will probably do it again tonight to flush out whatever is left.

Tests for today after passing the OCLT

2.30pm FC has gone down to 16 and CC is 0.

I also tested CYA to check the level now the water is clear and it is around 45.

What can i expect to see now i am coming off shocking the pool?

The pool is hit by 110deg arizona sun for 10hrs a day without any shade so i expect the chlorine levels to go down pretty quick.

Not tested PH yet as it will probably be inaccurate. At what level of FC do PH tests become reliable?

Thanks for any help

That should be a good benchmark for my pool then, thanks.

Mine is 25k gallons so probably a bigger surface area for the sun to act on (if that's how it works), but then my CYA is 50 giving me a target FC of 6. Half a gallon a day sounds pretty workable, plus the local home depot has 2 gallons of 10% for $6 each when you buy 10 boxes.

Could you put your pool and equipment details in your sig? It helps us to help you quicker.

danaz said:
Ted - i backwashed at the beginning once the pool was refilled to get the circulation going, and once during the shock - i will probably do it again tonight to flush out whatever is left.
Typically it takes many more backwashes to clear a pool. What is your "clean" filter pressure? What pressure do you backwash at? Our recommendation is 25% above the "clean" pressure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.