Chlorine question

Russo221

Jun 8, 2016
Parlin , new Jersey
Question: I wanted to know what is the best way to distribute the granular chlorine in the pool? I have been putting in a dispenser and let it float around but sometimes it doesn't all come out. Then I started spreading it around and looks like it cakes up on the bottom and sits there. I was wondering i heard that dumpling it thru the skimmer and letting it go thru the filter and out the out part? It's that a good way do that? Not sure if putting it thru the filter like that is good for the filter

I would definitely not dump it in the skimmer, nor would I let it sit undissolved on your liner. What type of granules are you using?

Definitely not through the skimmer to the filter. Besides adding stabilizer to the water (or CH if using cal-hypo), you see that broadcast spreading isn't an exact science for those products either. You have to watch to ensure they don't just sit and clump which could be a problem. You do have the option of pre-dissolving in a bucket. But overall this is one reason why liquid chlorine is preferred for non-salt pools. It's so easy to dispense and you know it's going to mix well in the water. Plus, no side effects (i.e. CYA).

Hope that helps.

Definitely not through the skimmer to the filter. Besides adding stabilizer to the water (or CH if using cal-hypo), you see that broadcast spreading isn't an exact science for those products either. You have to watch to ensure they don't just sit and clump which could be a problem. You do have the option of pre-dissolving in a bucket. But overall this is one reason why liquid chlorine is preferred for non-salt pools. It's so easy to dispense and you know it's going to mix well in the water. Plus, no side effects (i.e. CYA).

Hope that helps.
I used to do the liquid chlorine but I had to use a lot of it, I constantly had to run to the pool store to get the 1 gallon bottles. The liquid chlorine is 12.5 in strength were the granular was 68 percent. I felt like the liquid chlorine was being consumed a lot quicker that's why I went to granular

Regardless of the method of chlorine (Trichlor, cal-hypo, liquid), the water's FC level should be somewhat consistent and predictable day by day unless you have a large pool party or something. A summer FC loss of 2-4 ppm is expected. You certainly can use any method you wish, and in your area with a relatively short season and perhaps a decent water exchange between seasons, you may be okay with that cal-hypo. But when you add 3-4 ppm of liquid on a Monday (as an example), you should only have to add that same amount the next day. Before I went salt, our ~18K pool required about 1/2 gallon of 10% liquid each evening (2.5 ppm) like clockwork. Whenever I needed more chlorine, i looked for problem areas and considered an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. You know your pool and area conditions better than anyone, so go with what seems best.

I used to do the liquid chlorine but I had to use a lot of it, I constantly had to run to the pool store to get the 1 gallon bottles. The liquid chlorine is 12.5 in strength were the granular was 68 percent. I felt like the liquid chlorine was being consumed a lot quicker that's why I went to granular
Once it is in solution in your water, chlorine is chlorine. 4 ppm of FC is 4 ppm of FC regardless of how it got there.

What does make a difference is that the granular form that you are using also adds CYA to your water. CYA does not dissipate over time. Eventually (and rather quickly) you will get to a CYA level where maintaining FC at a level that provides sanitation will become effectively impossible.

In summary: You cannot keep using granular (or solid) chlorine as your only source, it will quickly get out of hand.

Once it is in solution in your water, chlorine is chlorine. 4 ppm of FC is 4 ppm of FC regardless of how it got there.

What does make a difference is that the granular form that you are using also adds CYA to your water. CYA does not dissipate over time. Eventually (and rather quickly) you will get to a CYA level where maintaining FC at a level that provides sanitation will become effectively impossible.

In summary: You cannot keep using granular (or solid) chlorine as your only source, it will quickly get out of hand.
Cal-hypo is without CYA... (but increases CH)

Cal-hypo is without CYA... (but increases CH)

Yes, you are correct. I am guilty of the blanket statement of all solid forms have CYA. Cal-Hypo does not (but it does have other drawbacks)

Technically Lithium Hypochlorite does not have CYA either - but nobody makes Lithium Hypo anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.