Chlorine puck quantity ?

mkoons

Dec 23, 2022
Houston texas
Hello. I have a 17000 gallon chlorine pool just south of Houston, TX. Now that we are using the pool most days I am adding about 3 chlorine pucks to my inline chlorinator every week. Does this seem normal ? It keeps the chlorine level between 2-3 ppm and I use no other chemicals and all other areas are within range. but now the CYA is rising and my pool supply company says I need to use a liquid chlorine that does not have acid. Any suggestions ?

Pucks are unsustainable. The higher your CYA level, the more FC is needed to sanitize at the same level. Every line on this chart is equal.

Screenshot_20230304_131304_Chrome.jpg

How are you testing ?

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m going to start using liquid chlorine since it does not have any acid. Also I was going to start running my pump from 8pm to 8am and add the chemicals at night. It seems it would conserve the chemicals better to add them when there is no sun out. Any thoughts ?

Was curious to see what other members chlorine usage was? Right now I’m using half a gallon of liquid chlorine every other day and I add 1/2 pound of shock once a week. Keeps chlorine between 2-3 ppm and all other numbers are good. Have 17000 gallon chlorine pool. My pump runs at 45% for 12 hours a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was curious to see what other members chlorine usage was? Right now I’m using half a gallon of liquid chlorine every other day and I add 1/2 pound of shock once a week. Keeps chlorine between 2-3 ppm and all other numbers are good. Have 17000 gallon chlorine pool. My pump runs at 45% for 12 hours a day.
In peak season here in PA, I'll burn 3-4PPM per day so you needing 1/2 gallon of LC is not unreasonable. In a 17,000 gallon pool though, 1/2 a gallon of 10% LC raise FC by 2.9. If you are burning more than that each day, your FC is falling below minimum to 0 and you are just inviting algae in.
For example if your CYA was 40, the minimum FC is 3 and target is 5-7. But if you've been using tabs and even the pool store says it's rising, I'm assuming it's pretty high. AT a CYA of 80, your minimum is 6.

I am in the Houston area, When I was using Liquid Chlorine (LC), I was using a quart or slightly more per day during the summer. With LC you have to be very consistent on your additions of LC. Basically you’re raising FC initially and then it depletes due to pool usage and exposure to UV throughout the day. Always try to add it the same time each day and I also targeted the high end of the range as you never want to hit minimum FC for a given CYA level.

At TFP we do not follow the pool store recommendations of 2-3ppm. In fact, I was pleased to read that your pool supply company informed you that your CYA was getting too high and asked you to switch to LC. They know that pucks carry stabilizer (CYA) and the higher the CYA level the less effective is FC at low levels. The TFP methodology follows the FC/CYA Levels and suggest that if you are switching to LC that you follow the chart to prevent any algae forming as the summer heats up.

Furthermore, you need to start adding muriatic acid (MA) because the pucks also included acid which help maintain your pH. Now you will need to test your water and add MA as needed. Maybe every several days but each pool is different and the higher your TA the faster your pH will rise.
Please read
Pool Care Basics

Hello. My pool supply store has unstabilized pucks but they said not to put in my chlorinator since the unstabilized pucks turn to a paste and can clog the chlorinator they said. They said put them in a pool floater or put them in your skimmer basket. They said since there is no acid in the pucks it’s ok to be in skimmer basket. Any thoughts or anybody use unstabilized pucks?

They are cal hypo. Stuck together. They will dissolve pretty rapidly in the skimmer. Will have to add them every day likely. What advantage is that versus liquid chlorine?

Cal hypo tabs add calcium which you may or may not be able to tolerate. Liquid chlorine doesn’t have this effect.
You must never allow cal hypo to mix with other forms of chlorine or an explosion 💥 can occur. It must have its own designated feeder/floater that has never been used with anything else.
Accurate testing with a Taylor k2006 or tf100/pro is needed to monitor & maintain recommended levels for all your pool’s parameters.
FC/CYA Levels

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.