Chlorine not going down

Teerump

May 13, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Hey guys… generally never have any issues opening my pool. Been using the trouble free method for 7 years. This year, I’m at slam level of 16 for my I ground pool, vinyl liner, 16,000 gals. Generally keep my chlorine at 5-7 in the summer. So opening this year, green as usual got it to slam level and for 2 days my chlorine has not dropped, usually it’s eating through it when I open it until I get it clear. Sunny all day today and it’s not dropped at all.
Any reason? The pool is slowly clearing up but seems slower than usual. PH is around 8, I shoot for 7.5, seem to battle it all summer. CYA 40. TA is 90.
Thanks!

The ph test is invalid at fc levels above 10ppm so don’t adjust/test ph unless it falls below that.
Keep with the
SLAM Process - sand filters are the slowest to clear so patience is needed.
The low fc loss is a good thing!
Your filter may just need some time to catch up.
If you haven’t ever deep cleaned your sand you may want to consider it. When doing so it’s a good opportunity to give everything a good look over & confirm you have the appropriate amount of sand as well.
After you’re sure the filter is good to go and you’ll be around to watch it, you can try adding a little de to help the filter catch the finer stuff.

For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day is best) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.