Chlorine measurement interference

3rdcoaster

Silver Supporter
Apr 28, 2018
Houston TX
After several years relying completely on a salt water generator for chlorine, no contamination events requiring slam, and reliable measurement using FAS-DPD, i now have a 10 month issue of being unable to measure Cl. Initially i thought it was interference from components of a stain removal product, but after a complete pool volume exchange, the problem persists.

Currently (in process of restoring chemistry after no-drain muriatic acid wash for Ca stain removal last week):
Free Cl: 0.5, CC: 0.6
Alk: 100
pH:7.2
Cya: just added 1 gallon liquid (was thinking of potential slam) =28 calculated
CH:175 (just did whole water exchange), my fill water is 125-150
NaCl: not added
T: 81
CSI: -0.43

Issue began 8/2021, after I used a marketed no-drain Ca stain removal protocol/kit from PoolStainRemovers.com. The kit includes some undisclosed proprietary ingredients but mostly includes sulfamic acid and EDTA. I was told that it would interfere with FAS-DPD Cl measurement for a few weeks, but I have never gotten the DPD assay to work since. In the past, the pool sample would rapidly turn pink when adding 1 scoop powder. Now it appears chalky white and a second scoop is chalky pink, and one drop turns it clear. Also, I have measurable CC (never previously)--0.6 determined by using the 25 ml method where 1 drop = 0.2 ppm.

I have:
1) purchased new Taylor DPD powder and liquids 9/2022, made no difference.
2) tested the reagents using a dilution of my HomeDepot Pool Essentials bleach in tap water. Nominal Cl = 10%. After dilution to 8.8 ppm (calculation using pool math, given below), results are: Free Cl 5 ppm, CC 1 ppm. Should bleach have any CC??? n.b. bleach purchased in 1/2022, production date 1/2022
3) I noticed that the yellow single reagent Cl test is also off. Previously it reacted immediately (turned yellow in seconds after adding the reagent and mixing). After the stain treatment, it reacted in a very delayed way, becoming fully developed after 2-3 min.

4) I wanted to get rid of the presumed "interfering substance" in the pool. I did a second no-drain acid treatment in 4/2022 for my calcium scaling, with muriatic acid only (beneficial result, but another story), and then exchanged the pool water. I was able to monitor the exchange by measuring the CH in the outflow, and this indicated that the exchange worked well (abruptly dropped from 700 to 250 to 175 at end of the exchange period.) This did not change the performance of the DPD test, or of the yellow dye test.

Does this ring any bells? What are my next troubleshooting steps? I think my Cl test reagents are good, they are stored indoors, are within expiration period, and appear to change color normally using the test dilution with tap water. I was considering slam (hints of CC) but how can i do that without being able to monitor Cl? Water is clear, and no signs of algae (just Ca stain!). I'm surprised my 3 mo old bleach measures as half-strength (and has some CC per the Taylor kit)--what to make of that? Should I just ignore it all, add pool NaCl, and restart the salt generator? ;-)

Thanks for your consideration!
Ed
---------------------
Cl dilution: 10%-->1%--> 0.1% (wt to volume using kitchen scale, assumed sg =1, but it is 1.14)
18.5 ml into 0.5 gal tap water = 10 ppm (per poolmath)

Just throwing this out there maybe the test vial has residual contaminating your testing. Try washing it with dish detergent and rinsing well. One more idea to try is test someone else's pool with your kit and see what happens.

Replace your test vials, speed stir peanut, sample sizer, and anything else that your test samples touch.

You have contamination from the sulfamic acid you used.

thank you both for the helpful replies--food for thought. Putting the two suggestions together, I have an idea--test whether my pool water interferes with dilute Cl freshly prepared and detectable in tap water alone. I expect it will, and trying different ratios of pool to tap water (keeping Cl equal) will let me know how fully I need to further "exchange" the pool water to eliminate the interference. Hopefully, I can report back the "interference curve". I've washed (and will rewash carefully) the teflon stirrer and TF-100 test vial and they work in the test of the tap water alone (item 2 of original post), so i think I have working test kit. If the interfering substance is so sticky on teflon, I could be challenged to get it out of my pool! I'll also find some ultra-fresh Cl. Any other thoughts most welcome, as this next step await another time window. Complete list of kit components below:

1) EDTA + “proprietary polymer complex” 3.2 lbs
if all EDTA (372 g/mol)
1454 gm
3.9 moles
12000 gal = 45426 L
about 85 uM (seems low)

2) Amidosulfonic acid + chelating polymer compound 8.8 lbs
If all amidosulfonic acid (97 g/mol)
4 kg
41 moles
about 0.9 mM

3) liquid
64 oz bottle: stain and scale eliminator (liquid)
330g/l polyacrylamide modifiers
510g/l terpolymer dispersants
110g/l specialty polycarboxylates

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.