Chlorine - Liquid User seeking tablet advise

Apr 19, 2016
Richmond, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been using liquid chlorine for my pool, however, I am having trouble finding it in my area and think I may need to change my choice of chlorine due to supply issues. It seems like some online places have their prices severely jacked up like Amazon ($23 or more per gallon). All the normal places I have been buying locally (Richmond, VA) no longer have it in stock. I will be going on vacation for 2 and 1/2 weeks soon and would like to plan ahead So I do not come back to a green pool and thought tablets may be a good option for times when I am out of town of extended periods of time. I think I may need to use tablets while I'm gone and also because I cannot find liquid chlorine in my area.

I am concerned tablets will make the pool harder to maintain because it is adding calcium or cyanuric acid too (depending non type of tablet) All my chemical levels are perfect. Alkalinity is a tad bit on the high side, but in an acceptable range.

I have a 24 foot round above ground vinyl pool. I put one gallon of 10% bleach every other day. I understand all of the tablets add either CH or CYA.

How long does it take for tablets to typically dissolve? My cya is currently at 45. How much does a single tablet typically raise cya (24' round vinyl pool, 4' deep)?

Very open to suggestions and what the TFP methods might recommend for my situation.

P.S. Love the new pool math app for my phone this year, it's been super helpful in maintaining my pool.

Can you share your Poolmath data or post your most recent full set of test results?
Use your Poolmath Effects of Adding Chemicals as to what a trichlor tablet will add to your pool volume.

Here is effects of adding trichlor tabs for my 14k gallon pool. I assumed a 2.5ppm daily chlorine loss and two weeks of vacation, which is our plan for this year if the restrictions are lifted.
I would need to use 9 tablets at 8ounces each. The CYA would skyrocket as a result.

Screenshot_20200613-155005.jpg

Yes, I typically test at least every other day, I just don't update the app each time. Numbers haven't been fluctuating. When I test again tonight, I'll be sure to update app and can repost.

Here is effects of adding trichlor tabs for my 14k gallon pool. I assumed a 2.5ppm daily chlorine loss and two weeks of vacation, which is our plan for this year if the restrictions are lifted.
I would need to use 9 tablets at 8ounces each. The CYA would skyrocket as a result.

View attachment 146688
Ok, so really you take average daily chlorine loss multiplied by the number of vacation days. Any concerns with bringing the chlorine level so high on a vinyl pool?

It does not work that way for more than a couple days. You have to have chlorine added at a steady pace. You cannot raise your FC very high and expect it to lose at the same rate as in the target range. And you should not go above SLAM level FC as it can damage the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Under normal circumstances, that wouldn't be an issue. I'm curious what should I do to pool prior to leaving on 2.5 week vacation when no chemicals will be added when I'm gone?

the second part of my question is what is "the next best" option if I cannot find a store to purchase liquid chlorine assuming all chemical tests are in normal range?

If no one can intervene for two plus weeks, can you do as Richard said? Do you have a winter cover? Raise FC to SLAM level and put the cover on. Plan to SLAM when you return. Or, buy a SaltWater Chlorine Generator and set that up. I leave for weeks, up to a couple months, at a time and our SWCG keeps adding chlorine.

If you test your CH and it is low you can use cal hypo on a daily basis instead of liquid chlorine when you have issues finding it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.