Chlorine level not holding

Also, on average, how much lc would I typically use in a week for 20,000 gallons? I know that’s a loaded question but here’s my angle. I have a small fortune in pucks right now and am just trying to decide if I use them up this season or switch over completely. But just wanted to get and idea of how much lc I would use weekly so I could get a cost in my head. Or, could I continue using pucks at a very decreased rate and just supplement with lc? Just don’t want to completely throw away my investment if I don’t have to. Thanks all

It's encouraging that you didn't lose any FC overnight. But I would get that up into the 5-7 range this morning as Wobbler advised, and run another Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to be 100% sure.

I would expect you to use 1/3-2/3 gallon per day of 12% liquid chlorine depending on sun load, bather load, CYA level, and other factors.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Your $ spent on the trichlor tabs are rising in price now so there will be a market for them. Save some as you can use them to supplement your FC or CYA when warranted but know what they are adding to your water and plan ahead. Using them for primary pool water sanitation is not practical for most pool systems.

So, reviving this post again. So far, everything is running okay. However, still have some concerns. As of now, I’m still using pucks but the chlorinator is way down and go through approx 3/week. That is not near enough chlorine throughout the week. So, I’m also using lc, roughly a gallon every two days to keep fc up.

Did another overnight test and didn’t lose a bit so I believe it’s completely the sun burning it off. Cya has dropped a little since turning chlorinator down, it’s around 30 now.

This works, however, it’s still confusing how all my friends and family are oblivious to the why and what and they’re doing great with 2-3 pucks a week, that’s it. I just don’t get it. Why am I losing this much and yet others don’t have this problem. I did turn the chlorinator up a bit yesterday since I could stand a little more cya but other than that, I’m just making weekly runs to Walmart for lc. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have trichlor pucks in your chlorinator when doing the OCLT?
If you are using 3 pucks a week it's difficult to believe your CYA has dropped 10 ppm. Remove the pucks use liquid only and follow the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test in detail.
I’m still using pucks but the chlorinator is way down and go through approx 3/week. Cya has dropped a little since turning chlorinator down, it’s around 30 now.

This works, however, it’s still confusing how all my friends and family are oblivious to the why and what and they’re doing great with 2-3 pucks a week, that’s it. I just don’t get it. Why am I losing this much and yet others don’t have this problem. I did turn the chlorinator up a bit yesterday since I could stand a little more cya but other than that, I’m just making weekly runs to Walmart for lc. Any help would be appreciated.
Impossible to compare your pool to your friends pools. Doing great with 2-3 pucks and they have no problems? Are their pools smaller, are they draining water, shocking every week, adding algicides or pool potions? Have you tested their water, viewed it, smelled it or ever swim in it? There are lots of pools and lots of problems, ask them for advice and find out their secrets then let us know.

And I followed the procedure to a “t”. I can’t for the life of me figure out what’s going on. Full disclosure, 2nd summer with the pool. New install. When I first started using it last summer, I noticed none of the pucks would dissolve in the chlorinator. After researching, I realized the chlorinator was air locked. This is the only chlorinator I’ve ever seen you have to let fill up with water before you screw the lid back on. Stupid I know, but could there be something wrong with the chlorinator or installation? I checked flow and it looks correct.

So 50 is probably a good level of CYA for you for this type of year. So at this point discontinue the use of pucks and switch to LC only. As you get rain and splashout your CYA will drop and they you can restart the pucks again. Its going to be a balancing act.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gotcha. Hard to swallow using close to a gallon of lc/day. Still doesn’t answer they why question about it burning off so quickly. It’s crazy how everyone around me throws two tabs a week in they’re seemingly good. Maybe ignorance is bliss, lol

Is it possible something is wrong with the chlorinator and the pucks are disssolving inside the chlorinator but never making it to the pool? 🤷‍♂️ I’m now revealing how clueless I really am

Its making it to the pool. Your CYA is rising that is evidence of that. A pool will lose 2-4ppm of FC per day. Depending on the strength of the the LC you are adding that might be about right.

Recommendations: we’re about to go on vacation and as I’ve mentioned before, tablets don’t really help at all in maintaining chlorine levels. I’m now running solely on LC. I typically lose about 5ppm daily. I’m not sure about telling our house sitters to pour in LC daily in fear of them not doing it right and possibly bleaching out liner or whatever. Does anyone have any suggestions about maintenance while we’re on vacation?

Thanks I’m advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.