Chlorine Level dropped to zero overnight

They probably don't know any better. Many who came here didn't either. This site and contributors figured out the science of a great method. The old school guys will say thats the way we have always done it.

Anyone want to wager the test the service company will do? Taylor, strips, dump and run?

I'm wondering if CYA isn't normally as big a problem in the northeast, considering our cooler water (slower puck degradation) and shorter pool season. Our pools are drained quite a bit each off season, multiple times during the winter as the snow melts and keeps filling up the pool. There has to be roughly 40% to 50% water turnover between seasons, and this would reduce the CYA every year. It's my theory anyhow, but live and learn.

Depending on where one lives, it’s certainly possible that they get enough water exchange to keep CYA from getting completely out of control. I wouldn’t be surprised though that even in this case regular shock treatments would be needed to keep algae down, especially later in the season. A TFP pool does not need shock treatments since proper FC/CYA ratio is maintained at all times. 😉

The store happens to be right in this case! The pucks without CYA have calcium instead. If you put the calcium pucks in a feeder that was used for the CYA pucks, you risk an explosion! I think there is also an issue of the CYA puck dispenser design being different than the calcium puck dispenser (something to do with they difference in the way the dissolve).

Also, generally speaking pool builders understand how to build pools, but don’t understand pool chemistry. They basically parrot what pool stores teach, and pool stores teach what the pool chemical sales reps teach them, which is essentially how to keep the money flowing in. If a pool store taught the methods taught here (which are based on chemical science, not sales reps), they would soon go out of business.
good points....still bugs me though, anyhow, I'm learning slowly. I want to discuss the pool drain/fill with the service guy who knows our pool piping, discuss most efficient method to pull it off. After we get that nailed down, then I can convert over to something without the stabilizer.

appreciate all the feedback here....for sure.

good points....still bugs me though, anyhow, I'm learning slowly. I want to discuss the pool drain/fill with the service guy who knows our pool piping, discuss most efficient method to pull it off. After we get that nailed down, then I can convert over to something without the stabilizer.

appreciate all the feedback here....for sure.

For your reading pleasure.😀

One thing I'm trying to understand.....we used what I researched was a very high end pool installer in New England....South Shore Gunite, they're installing from Martha's Vineyard to the Canadian border, they only do Gunite, they aren't cheap. I'm anal, I monitored everything they did during the installation, I filmed them every day they were here, I took pictures of all the underground piping connections and grounding of the metal frame, all the wiring, you name it. They did a great installation, I was constantly impressed. These guys don't even offer a salt option for chlorine, they do 100% pucks....and at the time, they told me every installation they do is UV/Ozone. This all made sense to me, I'm an engineer, I've been exposed to textile water treatment systems using UV/Ozone since the mid 1980's, this is really common in my industry. But, I'm no chemist and it's killing me that I missed the conversation regarding stabilizer in the pucks.

Would the architectural firm who built a skyscraper also be an expert on how to set up the telecommunications equipment inside of it? Pool builders are just that: pool builders. Water chemistry is a whole other barrel of monkeys.

UV and O3 systems are also super easy cash grabs with no real easy way for the layman to prove they do or don't work, so pool installers love them.

Reactions: Saturn94
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.