Central Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hi. I've read the closing an inground pool process. It says to SLAM a few days before, and let it come down to normal as long as the Overnight test holds.
1. However, if I consistently do not have any CC showing, do I need to SLAM at all before closing?
2. I do add polyquat 60 before draining and chlorine after draining the water. If adding polyquat 60, shouldn't I add it after draining so as not to lose some in the drain? Maybe stir up the water after draining to mix it in?

Thanks
Rich

Reactions: jmb
Hi. I've read the closing an inground pool process. It says to SLAM a few days before, and let it come down to normal as long as the Overnight test holds.
1. However, if I consistently do not have any CC showing, do I need to SLAM at all before closing?

SLAMMing before closing the pool for the winter is not mandatory. It gives added comfort to some folks.

I raise FC to about half SLAM level before closing.

2. I do add polyquat 60 before draining and chlorine after draining the water. If adding polyquat 60, shouldn't I add it after draining so as not to lose some in the drain? Maybe stir up the water after draining to mix it in?

The following is Buckman Labs’ recommendation on how to use Polyquat 60 for closing your pool for the season.

As they recommend for proper winterization, the pool should be "shocked" with about 5-10ppm chlorine to destroy any lingering oxidant demand and remove any residual ammonia or chloramine, etc. After a couple of days, adjust the pH back to 7.2-7.6 and then add Polyquat 60 at the maximum rate as instructed per the label. This approach allows you to receive the highest benefit from both chemicals.

Note that Polyquat and linear quat algaecides are organic compounds that are known to cause interference's with certain color indicating reagents like pH indicators. Adjust the pH before adding Polyquat 60 and there is no reason to test pH after adding it.

Another point that they make regarding using this algaecide in pool water is that after the addition of Polyquat 60, it’s important to keep the circulation pump on for at least 24 hours to make sure that the algaecide is thoroughly distributed throughout the pool.

If you raise your water to SLAM FC level then you should let the FC drift down before adding Polyquat 60. Having a moderately higher level (½ SLAM level so the FC/CYA ratio of 20%) is okay as well. The idea is that the Polyquat should last through the winter even if the chlorine does not.

Buckman Labs says that even if the Polyquat is broken down, it is still effective when used as an algaecide. Moderate to high levels of chlorine break down Polyquat but it still only transforms the formula into shorter chain polymers that are still just as effective.

I was going to start a new thread but I figure I'll just add to this one.

I have been doing all pool maintenance myself including opening and closing for 28 years. Normally I toss mailers from pool stores without looking at them but I need new foam padding for my cover so I opened the latest from the company that had installed it. They were listing prices for closing. They stated that before they arrive the chlorine level should be zero, and if it wasn't, they would add (and bill) for the neutralizer needed to get it there.

I have always gotten my chlorine level up before closing. Is the pool company just wanted a clean slate for what they intend to add or is there another reason to want no chlorine?

They stated that before they arrive the chlorine level should be zero, and if it wasn't, they would add (and bill) for the neutralizer needed to get it there.

That is ridiculous.

Ask them why? What science and chemicals is behind that request?

They may think chlorine degrades the Polyquat 60 Algaecide they will be adding but that is incorrect according to the manufacturer. Read Algaecide - Further Reading

Reactions: Mdragger88
That is ridiculous.

They may think chlorine degrades the Polyquat 60 Algaecide they will be adding but that is incorrect according to the manufacturer. Read Algaecide - Further Reading
Well, I'm not going to ask because I have no interest in having them close the pool. I thought it was very strange so I figured I would ask here if someone could think of a reason.

Do folks really give the polyquat 24hrs of circulation before draining? I run the pump for about 30min to mix it and then get on with draining… I understand the manufacturer guidelines but any evidence that a shorter circulation window would not be effective?

Reactions: jmb
That is ridiculous.

I got the answer to this because I was talking to another service company who said the same thing - EPA regulations do not allow them to dump chlorinated water.

I got the answer to this because I was talking to another service company who said the same thing - EPA regulations do not allow them to dump chlorinated water.

Ask them to cite what EPA regulation is prohibiting them. EPA does not prohibit it although they encourage local regulations. See attached.

Attachments

• bmp-educating-residents-on-safely-discharging-chemically-treated-water.pdf
    383.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mdragger88
This may very well be a thing in your area/ your municipality. It varies across the country. There’s no blanket federal mandate though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Although the service company did not say this specifically it is the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Maryland sued Pennsylvania several years ago because (they argued) runoff into PA rivers and streams was polluting the Chesapeake Bay. Many new rules, regulations, and stormwater fees were imposed. This would have impacted draining pools and no contractor is going to risk a fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.