Chlorine/Fishy Smell

I live on a barrier island surrounded by salt marshes. The prevailing odor here is always "marsh muck", which is to say somewhat fishy, and we have dead fish washing ashore on the beach, dying in the marshes, getting caught by fisherman and cleaned and carcasses getting thrown god-only-knows-where by inconsiderate humans, local shrimpers and on and on. Despite all this, the only time I encounter water that smells fishy is when there are dead fish in the water....well, um .... and my 250 gallon salt water aquarium that I don't clean as much I should.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Smell went away....but RETURNED (sort of). So its all been lookin' great and clean and smelling pretty good, maybe for a couple weeks, then all of a sudden a couple days ago i could REALLY smell it, mostly coming from the spa. I got the FAS-DPD test in the mail and used it and came out with 5.6TC and CC .4 (did the 25mL test)...so i know nothing funky is going on. Stopped using dichlor a while ago. The thing is I smell it more from the spa, and the way my setup works is the spa water fills and overflows from water sucking from the pool bottom to the filter and pushing through the spa jets to create an overflow. I decided to brush down the spa thoroughly and throw it into spa mode for a while so the spa drain would get some work - and that seemed to help quite a bit. Still pretty stumped though.

any chance your source water has some sulphur in it? that definitely gives off a smell and warmer temperatures tend to intensify that effect. it can also be worse when recently oxygenated, like in spa jets. that's my guess. there are test kits for sulphur.

im waiting for DWP to come out and run some tests. its just puzzling that it comes and goes.

i have experienced that with sulphur before, not in a pool, but in my drinking water supply. it would be bad then ok. temperature definitely makes it worse. but wouldnt seem to be an issue long term in a pool. as the sulfur gets oxygenated, it forms sulfuric acid gas and should get better quickly. unless you are refilling a lot I don't know why it would still be there.

another possibility...you're crazy :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.