Chlorine Degradation

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
I’m using our Pool Math Calculator. It seems when I add my 10% Chlorine it ain’t quite getting where my calculator says it should. Since I bought this at Rural King in a 4 pack, I’m wondering if that is a mistake. Was it made April 19, 2023?
I know chlorine degrades over time. How do you adjust for your chlorine weakening. Yeah, I know just add more. I can do that.

I need to buy 1 gallon of fresh at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 7
adjust the percentage in poolmath until it lines up with the results you’re getting then use that as your percentage going forward.
I buy in bulk from the pool store usually at the beginning & end of the season for my pool & use the leftovers for my tub. It’s really no big waste that it degrades some as its not that much chlorine needed in the first place so even doubling the amount I need to use is still a very small amount. I prefer this over needing some in the winter & not being able to find unadulterated chlorine. Once it gets cooler outside (where I store my chlorine) the rate at which it degrades slows way down. Be sure you’re storing it in the shade too.

adjust the percentage in poolmath until it lines up with the results you’re getting then use that as your percentage going forward.
I buy in bulk from the pool store usually at the beginning & end of the season for my pool & use the leftovers for my tub. It’s really no big waste that it degrades some as its not that much chlorine needed in the first place so even doubling the amount I need to use is still a very small amount. I prefer this over needing some in the winter & not being able to find unadulterated chlorine. Once it gets cooler outside (where I store my chlorine) the rate at which it degrades slows way down. Be sure you’re storing it in the shade too.
Just for conversation, how low have you gone when reducing your % chlorine. I’m going to try 8%. Should I expect to get down to 5% in a year? I know it ain’t exact science. Just trying to get a feel for how low a 10% will go in a year or two.

By the way, my wife has become a morning hot tubber based on your recommendation. Thank you!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.