Chlorine Consumption

Jun 26, 2023
San Antonio, TX
Im currently burning through chlorine and having a hard time keeping chlorine levels up. I use tabs mostly with a rainbow 320 inline and shock weekly. Im in San Antonio where its been a brutal heat wave so temps are in the 100-108 range lately and my water temp is high as well (dont know if i trust my little $5 walmart thermometer but it said 94 last time i checked). I did an overnight test and dropped from 3 to .5 so it made me think I need to SLAM, but could the hot weather and not just sunlight be what is eating my chloring up. I talked to pool store and they said everyones having a tough time right now because of the heat. I wanted to check and see if that could be whats causing it before i go but tons of liquid. My pool is ~24k gallons and is crystal clear.

Last time i tested at Leslies
pH: 7.6
Alk: 90
CyA: 51
FC: 0.2
TC: 0.5
CH: 578

Remember, chlorine tablets are “stabilized” forms of chlorine. This means they increase your CYA with each puck, usually quite fast. As such, tab feeders are not ideal for season-long chlorination. At some point you need to stop using the tabs and switch to liquid chlorine. Otherwise the same place that sold you those tabs for about $250 a bucket will tell you your CYA is too high because of those tabs, and that you need to exchange water to lower the CYA. After you lower the CYA, they will turn right around and try to sell you another bucket.

It’s hot, and our TX pools need an adequate amount of CYA. When I was using liquid chlorine, I kept my CYA between 60-70. Use your own K-2006 testing to be sure. Store testing is horrible. Once you know your true CYA level, you can then go to our FC/CYA Levels to see if you are at the appropriate FC level. We already know you are way too low.

For now, add liquid chlorine to get your FC up to around 8-10 ppm. You can use our PoolMath APP to help you with the dosage amounts. If you have tabs in the feeder, remove them now. Your CYA may be higher than you think already. Like "88" noted above, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you already have an algae issue. If you do, then you'll need to start a SLAM Process. If you get lucky and pas the OCLT, then balance your FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Hope that helps. Stay cool! :swim:

Reactions: Mdragger88
Remember, chlorine tablets are “stabilized” forms of chlorine. This means they increase your CYA with each puck, usually quite fast. As such, tab feeders are not ideal for season-long chlorination. At some point you need to stop using the tabs and switch to liquid chlorine. Otherwise the same place that sold you those tabs for about $250 a bucket will tell you your CYA is too high because of those tabs, and that you need to exchange water to lower the CYA. After you lower the CYA, they will turn right around and try to sell you another bucket.

It’s hot, and our TX pools need an adequate amount of CYA. When I was using liquid chlorine, I kept my CYA between 60-70. Use your own K-2006 testing to be sure. Store testing is horrible. Once you know your true CYA level, you can then go to our FC/CYA Levels to see if you are at the appropriate FC level. We already know you are way too low.

For now, add liquid chlorine to get your FC up to around 8-10 ppm. You can use our PoolMath APP to help you with the dosage amounts. If you have tabs in the feeder, remove them now. Your CYA may be higher than you think already. Like "88" noted above, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you already have an algae issue. If you do, then you'll need to start a SLAM Process. If you get lucky and pas the OCLT, then balance your FC as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.

Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for lots of great info. Hope that helps. Stay cool! :swim:
Thanks,

Last season I started out with tabs then switched over to liquid because of the CYA and figured with backwashing and cleaning my filter through the season it would pull enough water out of the pool to bring the CYA back to a normal range. My main question though is if I fail the OCLT is it an exact science that im dealing with an algae issue and need to slam or could water temperature also play any kind of factor.

My main question though is if I fail the OCLT is it an exact science that im dealing with an algae issue and need to slam or could water temperature also play any kind of factor.
If you fail the OCLT, you can be assured you have too many organics in the water and need to run the SLAM. If you pass the OCLT, then you could increase the CYA a bit which could help preserve your FC during the day, but you don't want to add stabilizer to increase the CYA just yet if a SLAM is required.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you fail the OCLT, you can be assured you have too many organics in the water and need to run the SLAM. If you pass the OCLT, then you could increase the CYA a bit which could help preserve your FC during the day, but you don't want to add stabilizer to increase the CYA just yet if a SLAM is required.
One last thing, is it worth buying a solar cover and leave it on during the day to limit how much chlorine is burned off by the sun while also limiting how much water i lose to evaporation. Kinda a two birds outlook. Im on well so trying to limit how much I need to draw to fill pool.

is it worth buying a solar cover and leave it on during the day to limit how much chlorine is burned off by the sun while also limiting how much water i lose to evaporation.
A good cover can certainly have its benefits for both issues as you noted above. Being on a well, the less top-offs you have to do from evaporation the better (iron).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.