Chlorine and CYA

dlphg9

May 22, 2023
Southern Missouri
So I have an above ground 16x10x4 Intex pool. I have an Intex QS500 for my SWG and a Bestway 58500E sand filter. Using the sock method I added ~25 ounces CYA to get my pool to ~70 ppm. My Total Cl was about 2-3 and my free Cl was about 1-2 before I did this. Today the sock was empty and all the CYA was dissolved. Well when I checked my pool, using Clorox testing strips (I know I need to invest in a reagent system), the total and free Cl immediately turned the color for the highest ppm on the dip stick which is 10ppm.

My question is, is it safe to swim in? I was reading the article and it seems that 10 is a good number for the 70 ppm for CYA. The PH is 7.2.

My question is, is it safe to swim in? I was reading the article and it seems that 10 is a good number for the 70 ppm for CYA. The PH is 7.2.
Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

This is not a snide comment, it is truth. Without a test kit, you don't know if it is safe.

Please allow me to expand on the above. The test strip CYA levels of 0 / 30-50/ 100 / 150 / 200, doesn't tell you anything. *if* the color doesn't swing while you're looking at it, which they all usually do. So it will likely tell you less than nothing.

The CYA level is paramount to get right or you don't know which FC to run.

Screenshot_20230304_131304_Chrome.jpg

(And Welcome !!!! :wave:)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I'm no expert by any means but I use test strips for routine checks if I want a quick reading. If I'm doing adjustment of any levels, I'll use the test kits.

I recently added enough stabilizer to bring my CYA to about 30. Now my CYA is like 55-60 lol. I'm thinking that the it takes time to get an accurate reading so I'm going to wait a few days and try again.

Please allow me to expand on the above. The test strip CYA levels of 0 / 30-50/ 100 / 150 / 200, doesn't tell you anything. *if* the color doesn't swing while you're looking at it, which they all usually do. So it will likely tell you less than nothing.

The CYA level is paramount to get right or you don't know which FC to run.

View attachment 494919

(And Welcome !!!! :wave:)
Lmao, these strips don't even have that type of precision for CYA. They have 0, 50, 100, 150, 300. That's a ton of range. I'll go ahead and get either the TF-100 or K-2006. Thank you very much for the reply.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
I'll go ahead and get either the TF-100 or K-2006
The TF pro-salt includes a $48 stirring device that none of us who have one would live without. It also includes a $30 salt kit for only $20 more than the regular kit. It's the hands down winner for the price.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.