Chlorine - Algaecides - Green Air

Aug 30, 2017
wauconda il
Okay, I've been using the TFP method and my pool is crystal clear but my daughter is getting some green tint to her blonde hair. No clue why....

My CYA is right around 40 and my FC is 4.00

Friends of ours have a pool that is maintained by a service and it keep a very low FC but super high CYA.

Is there any way to figure out what is in their pool to maintain that balance?

Thanks,
Dave

Are you concerned about your pool or your friend's? Is your daughter using both pools often?

Blond hair getting that green tint is copper in the water, very common for people using a pool service. But it sounds like you're saying that your daughter's hair is a result of your pool which is curious. Have you had your well water tested for metals?

What pool care products are you using that contain copper? If the product name has 'Blue' in it, it most likely contains copper.

To remove the copper a sizable amount of the pool water will need to be exchanged with fresh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A heater with very low pH can put copper in the water.

Has your pH been managed often to keep it in the 7's?

Friends of ours have a pool that is maintained by a service and it keep a very low FC but super high CYA.

Is there any way to figure out what is in their pool to maintain that balance?

Just to answer this question- they may be using a salt water generator which allows for lower FC yet requires higher CYA. Pool Service folks still manage pools with SWGs, so that may be the answer to how *they* do it.

Maddie :flower:

Okay - took my pool water to a pool store and they are showing 0.2ppm Copper. I'm guessing that's not what is contributing to my daughter's green hair.

On a different note - they are showing the CH at 455 but I'm testing solidly at 140-160 everytime. Why the difference???

Dave

0.2ppm of copper is certainly plenty to be a contributing factor.
Above 0.3ppm is when staining of the pool often starts.

Are you and they using the correct multiplier for the size of the water sample used for CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.