Chlorinating pool while on VA

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
So my salt cell died and I ordered a new one that was defective. I’m waiting for the warranty replacement but I’ll be going g on Vacation soon and I’ll be gone for a week. Since I’ve always had the SWG to keep up the FC, I don’t know the best way to keep it chlorinated while I’m gone. I’m thinking about using the 3” tabs as the risk of raising the CYA is probably minimal if I only use them for a week. Right now my CYA is 70ppm and I have to add about a half gallon of liquid chlorine every day to keep FC between 4.5 and 8.

I’ve never used tabs before. Do they go in the skimmer or in a floater? How many would I use to last the week? I will probably also bring my pool up to slam level before I leave just for insurance. Anything else I need to think of?

Tabs shouldn't go in the skimmer as the high dose of chlorine through your pump will degrade its lifespan. A floater would probably be fine. I'm not sure about how many tabs you'd want to use.

I would put 4 tablets in a floater.
That will add 9 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA over the week.

Then deal with what you have when you get home. Unless you can get someone to visit the home a couple times while gone. How do you plan to keep the skimmer basket cleaned out?

I would put 4 tablets in a floater.
That will add 9 ppm FC and 6 ppm CYA over the week.

Then deal with what you have when you get home. Unless you can get someone to visit the home a couple times while gone. How do you plan to keep the skimmer basket cleaned out?
Thanks.....I may be able to get a neighbor to add some liquid chlorine a couple times.

So if I do the math,

Slam level for 70CYA = 28 FC
plus
4 tabs = 9ppm FC

total FC = 37ppm

If I assume 4 ppm FC loss per day, I should have about 9ppm FC when I return in one week.

Does this sound correct?

I doubt the tablets will fully dissolve.

If you can get someone to add chlorine, I would not use any tablets, or at most one or two.

I doubt the tablets will fully dissolve.

If you can get someone to add chlorine, I would not use any tablets, or at most one or two.
Thanks...... like I said I've never used the tabs before so that's good to know.

If they don't dissolve, I would be flirting with low dangerously low FC by the time I return, even if I start at slam level. So yeah....sounds like 2 or 3 of strategically timed gallons of liquid chlorine after the slam would be the way to go. Plus since my CYA is already at 70, not sure I want to raise it much higher. Pretty sure I can get a neighbor to do that 2 or 3 times.

As far as the skimmer baskets....not too concerned as that time of year I get very little tree stuff in the pool. Even if the baskets get full, I assume I would get enough draw from the main drain to keep things running. Am I missing something?

I also don’t have massive daily debris and can let my skimmer go 7 days and it’s not a big deal. Of course I empty them daily while I’m home, even if it’s 4 dead Mexican petunia flowers and that’s it :)

I say raise to slam, then gets a neighbor to come over and dump to keep you very safely above minimum. Make it easy for them so they don’t have to measure or guess.

Since your SWG isn't producing FC, dose your pool according to the non-SWG/Liquid Chlorine part of the FC/CYA Levels.

For CYA 70 without a functioning SWG, you minimum FC is 5 and target is 8-10.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.