Chlorinate water without using the pump?

Husky25

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I uncovered my pool yesterday and got everything ready to de-green far in advance of Memorial Day. However, when pressured started to build, water came flowing out of the connection to the heater. Evidently, a coupling cracked over the winter and there is no bypass. I have an appointment to get it fixed but not until next Tuesday. In the meantime, I am looking to get a jump on killing the algae and improve the clarity of the water. I typically spread chlorine by pouring it in front of the deep end return.

I am normally pretty confident when it comes to water treatment and maintenance. OTOH, when I experimented last spring by dosing the water before opening, in hopes of lessening the opening SLAM, not only did it not seem to make a difference, I also noticed a couple white spots where I evidently bleached the liner.

I know I've read here that I can pour in chlorine while brushing the walls, but I would think this requires two people, no? I can probably enlist the help of my 4th grader, but is there also a method to do it solo? Dilute the chlorine? Quickly switch from jug to brush? Anything of that nature? I'm hoping to not bleach the liner any further.

Do you own a kayak?
I found that kayak paddle is very effective to "stir" a pool. Very good exercise for your arms, not so good on the back.
Anything sturdy, shaped similarly and waterproof should do. Avoid anything that could tear your liner.

No kayak, but I do have a pump. I suppose I can run that while my son brushes and I pour in the chlorine. I'll probably dilute it in a 5 gallon bucket too (oh, and wear white). Every little bit should help.

Reactions: AK-
Put the pump in the water for circulation, Dilluted 3 gallons of chlorine, one gallon at a time, while my son stirred it to spread it around. I also brushed at the application spot.

Hopefully, I don't end up with a white liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.