Chemistry readings uncertainty

I did the OCLT test and failed. Results are in my pool math app including notes. I started the slam this morning. I only had 2.5 gallons of lc. Recommended amt was 3 gallons. Since I’m golfing I will buy more on the way home at 1:00 pm EST . I’ll recheck and add more then
Can I add chlorox 7.65 bleach to supplement my 12.5% lc to the slam
It looks like your morning test was around 9:30 this morning, and the night test was around 3:00 in this morning. For the most accurate results, the night test should be after sun down, and the morning test before sun rise. The more time between those test, the more accurate the test will be.
the night t
It looks like your morning test was around 9:30 this morning, and the night test was around 3:00 in this morning. For the most accurate results, the night test should be after sun down, and the morning test before sun rise. The more time between those test, the more accurate the test will be.
the night test was 10:55 pm and the morning test was 5:30 pm EST ( eastern zone). I waited till 11 pm because there was a heavy downpour around 830 to 9:45.

Yes - but - clorox bleach typically has Cloromax in it. Do not use a bleach that has additives of any kind.
Yes the bottles of chlorox did say chloromax. I did not use -

I picked up 4 cases of 12.5% lc.
I retested at about 3:30 today. The fc was 12.5ppm . So I added lc per pool math (2 gals and 6 cups) to get fc up to 29. I plan to retest in about an hour and go thru the same process until the chlorine holds. Then tonight I’ll do a OCLT.

Does that sound correct? This is the first time I’m going through a slam process.

Test FC and add liquid chlorine every 3 or 4 hours. You can try a OCLT tonight, but most SLAM Process are multi day process.
Ok.

During the slam process my fc is recommended to be at about 29. Is it safe for my family to swim during the slam with high chlorine levels?

At the end of the slam it seem like it will take several days for the fc to get back down from the high levels. What should I expect

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

The FC will drop pretty rapidly to upper target level. Might take 2 or 3 days.

Reactions: gnhand
This morning at 6:00am my OCLT test had a 3.5ppm loss so I’m continuing the slam. The water is still crystal clear.

Since the chlorine levels are so high ( fc 26.5 ppm ) are my ph and alk readings correct. My ph is 7.8 do I add suggested muriatic acid of about 3 cups? The alk reading is washed out looking at around 80.

This morning at 6:00am my OCLT test had a 3.5ppm loss so I’m continuing the slam. The water is still crystal clear.

Since the chlorine levels are so high ( fc 26.5 ppm ) are my ph and alk readings correct. My ph is 7.8 do I add suggested muriatic acid of about 3 cups? The alk reading is washed out looking at around 80.
With such a high loss in OCLT 2 days in a row, I suspect you have some hidden algae somewhere such as behind a light fixture, on a ladder, in the skimmer, etc. You do not have a cover on, correct?

Focus only on FC levels and address the pH and TA when the SLAM is done.

With such a high loss in OCLT 2 days in a row, I suspect you have some hidden algae somewhere such as behind a light fixture, on a ladder, in the skimmer, etc. You do not have a cover on, correct?

Focus only on FC levels and address the pH and TA when the SLAM is done.
Thank you - correct there is no cover . I do have fiberglass staircase that has water free flowing inside . I hope the slam will eventually get that -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whenever chlorine is above 10ppm, the PH reading will not be accurate. Do not make any moves on correcting PH levels till you are below a FC of 10.0.

Concentrate on the SLAM till it is complete.
Good to know - I will follow that in the future. I did add muriatic acid this morning before I left the house for the day.

So today after adding 48 oz of lc to raise fc to 29ppm I figure my total fc usage for the day while the sun was on the pool was 4.5ppm. I’m hoping tonight the OCLT will pass 🤞🤞

In addition im still not confident with my CYA test readings. Recently they have been in the 75 area. Today I got around 60 and I took it with three different water samples.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.