Chemistry/Equipment Setting Questions re: Salt, CL, TA

Htown_Mark

Nov 9, 2022
Houston, TX
Hi all,

Three separate questions:

1. Salt Levels -- The SWG article says to keep it 2-400ppm above the manuf recommendations. My manuf suggests 3,600. However the pool school article seems to imply that 3,000 is the right level. This seems conflicting. I'm sitting at 3,000 now so need some guidance on what the right target level should be in the Pool Math app for me.

2. CL -- The FC measurements in Pool Math have a target with a number of 6-11 for me currently. (Currently my FC is 8.5). But the dual-chamber plastic gauge that we are to measure on a regular basis has two number columns, one for CL, one for Br. And the numbers are much lower than the targets in pool math. How should I be reading the numbers on the gauge? Am I just more checking that the yellow color is within the min-max range?

3. TA - My TA still sits higher that I read it should be. I've fought to get my PH down to where it is. The pool math app isn't recommendation any more acid for PH, but under TA, it is telling me to add more acid to get my PH down to 7.2 or so. Should I keep adding a cup of acid every 1-2 days until that PH number is closer to 7.2 to see if my TA Improves? (The pool is about 2 months old now)

In case anyone need it, here are my current readings:

FC - 8.5
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 400
CYA - 80
Salt - 3000

As always, thanks!!

1 - is the SWG happy and producing chlorine? If so, you're good. A level in the 3000-3200 ppm range should work fine.

2 - with CYA 80 and a SWG, your minimum is 4 and target is 6-11. If you keep the FC in the taget range you are fine. Don't forget, the pH test is only valid with FC at 10 or less.

3 - if you are trying to get your TA lower, drop pH to 7.2 , aerate and allow pH to rise to mid to upper 7's, drop pH to 7.2 again - rinse repeat until TA is in the range you are targeting.

Are you using PoolMath?
If so, set to track Combine Chlorine, Salt, CSI and Water Temperature - and share your PoolMath logs here.
Adjust TA, pH, CH as needed to keep the CSI slightly negative (0.00 to -0.30) to minimize SWG scaling.

Last edited:
The SWG article says to keep it 2-400ppm above the manuf recommendations. My manuf suggests 3,600. However the pool school article seems to imply that 3,000 is the right level. This seems conflicting.
The statement to keep just above the manuf recommendations is for those areas with rain. Dilution can occur if you get overflow. Likely we need to restate that to say 200-400 ppm over manuf minimum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.