chemicals for opening a green pool

gale

Jul 14, 2009
north central Indiana
I just read recently that after adding CYA you shouldn't backwash for a week. What if your pool is green, gross, and will take days and lots of backwashing to clean, but if you don't add chlorine it's just going to get greener and greener because it's so freaking hot and humid out. And if you are adding chlorine you have to have a good CYA level (or the chlorine is gone within hours) but you don't. So would you still add CYA even though you know you'll have to backwash in the next week and eventually add CYA again once your pool is finally clear?

Pump broke last season so it wasn't closed the way we'd like. Pool is green and has a lot of bugs, leaves, and other grossness in it. CYA is less than 20 (my test only goes down to 20) even though it was 40 last year and only water to the skimmer was removed. Backwashing is a must or else the filter is going to get filled with gunk fast. CYA and Chlorine are also a must because if we don't stay on top of that, the algae will get worse and worse.

18 x 52 above ground pool, sand filter.

thank you

I would suggest draining down to 1 foot left in the pool and refilling. Adjusting pH and add chlorine and CYA using the sock method. Then SLAM Process

OK -- add well water to your signature. Also what test kit you have.

I assume you added the CYA directly through the skimmer?

First check your water for ammonia.
To check and defeat ammonia, if necessary, is to raise your FC in the water using liquid chlorine to 10 ppm using PoolMath. Circulate the pool for 30 minutes. Test FC. If 5 or below, raise your FC to 10 using LC, circulate for 30 minutes, repeat until your FC is above 5 ppm after the 30 minute circulation.

Then add enough additional CYA to get to 30 ppm using the sock method.
Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Check your pH and adjust to 7.2.

Can you put your sand filter on recirculate? If so, do that until your pool turns cloudy blue.

Raise your FC to SLAM Process level based on your expected CYA. See [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Be prepared to test FC and dose with liquid chlorine every hour or two for the first day or so. Then at least 4 times per day after that.

Digest that and ask more questions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.