Chemicals and Swimming

LuisaOV

May 20, 2023
Athens, Greece
Hi all,
I'm totally new on this, so I hope you can give me some guidance.
I work in a place with a swimming pool and last week it got dark green. The owner told us to put liquid oxigen, he said it would make it transparent, so we did, and it got blue but still very cloudy. So he said to put more oxígen, so we did again, but it didn't change much, so I did a drop test for ph and chlorine, and the ph was very high (8.2 or more) and the chlorine was 0 (which is normal because while we were putting oxígen we were not putting anything else). At that point we went to the pool store to ask for advice and they said to use ph minus, chlorine shock (dichloro) and Flocculant, which we just did, but now the chlorine is near 0 again, so I'm wondering if after the Flocculant does it's job and I clean the swimming pool I should add normal chlorine to rise the levels or should I shock it again? (that would be 48h after the first shock). Also, we are only testing ph and chlorine at the moment, and I'm going to buy more tests on Monday, but would it be safe to swim tomorrow if the ph and chlorine are within range?
Thanks,
Luisa

Welcome to TFP.

Liquid oxigen is not something we have in the US and I don't know what chemicals are in it.

Your way of maintaining your pool is different then our methods. This link will show you our methods...

We do not recommend the use of flocculant...

Without chlorine in your pool you cannot say if it is sanitary.

Last edited:
I assume you are not referring to actual liquid oxygen at a temperature of -183°C, but to this one here:

The liquid component in that system is hydrogen peroxide.

Peroxide and chlorine can't be used together, they neutralise each other.

Could you post photos of everything you have added to the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.