Chemical help

Ok.....got a 100 that time which would make the cya 200. I have a problem a few weeks ago as all this started by not being able to keep the chlorine level up. The pool store always said that my tc was 0 and on my too kit it was basically clear.

As you saw, I added two gallons of bleach the other day and seems to have raised it.

IF you still have it, dump half, add tap water, mix and read it again.

It is much easier to discern a level closer to the top, although diluting looses accuracy. With mine at ~70, after I first test, I usually dilute the mix and confirm I read around 35.

I meant if you did not dump out your mix already you could have just diluted it again and not use any more reagent.

Did you actually mix a new sample 3 times? Or did you just pour it back and forth 3 times and get around 100?

My kit makes enough each time for me to get about 3 tests. I poured in until I couldn't see black dot. Poured out and tried again until I ran out.

If you want me to do again I can dilute twice to get a more accurate result.

There was no point dumping out the mix, just pour it back into the bottle and your could have done more than 3 readings.

At this point it does not really matter. Your CYA is likely > 200 ppm, you want is between 30-50ppm so you need to replace at least 75% of the water, but with a liner pool, you likely should not replace that much at once anyway.

So I would suggest two 50% water replacements and then remeasure the CYA.

I see, I should have just keep diluting until I got an accurate reading. The pool water is about 6 years old so maybe it's time. I was planning to closes it this week. Can I do my normal closing (algaecide, stain/scale reducer, shock) and the put cover on until spring? Shouldn't need much chlorine with cover on over winter.

Is your water already < 60 degrees? Have you read the closing articles in Pool School?

Sure you can close now and deal with the CYA in the spring. If you are "lucky" you will get the magic bacteria the sometime consume the CYA over the winter.

Make sure you use polyquat 60 and raise your FC up to SLAM level ... although for you that is astronomical (like 80+ppm) ... so maybe use bleach to get it up to 40ppm, add the polyquat, forget the stain/scale stuff, and close it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.