Checking/clearing floor drain

pktaske

May 31, 2023
Monroe Township, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Seems like I don't get the kind of suction I should be getting from my main floor drain vs my 2 skimmers. Does anyone see an issue with using one of those Drain King rubber bladders on the line and push pressurized water into the pool thereby 'clearing' any residual matter that might be in the line?

As a note, I do not vacuum my pool but rather brush the bottom into the main drain. When I do this every 2 days and run the pump at least 10 hours, my water stays pretty clear. It just seems to take an inordinate amount of effort to get the drain to suck up the dirt once I get it into a 'pile' at the drain. I have to keep pushing the dirt in with the brush. Seems like it should be sucking it right up like a vacuum cleaner, hence my hypothesis that it might be clogged a bit.

You might remove the main drain cover before using the Drain King, allowing whatever is in there to eject and not get caught by the cover.

Seems like I don't get the kind of suction I should be getting from my main floor drain vs my 2 skimmers. Does anyone see an issue with using one of those Drain King rubber bladders on the line and push pressurized water into the pool thereby 'clearing' any residual matter that might be in the line?

As a note, I do not vacuum my pool but rather brush the bottom into the main drain. When I do this every 2 days and run the pump at least 10 hours, my water stays pretty clear. It just seems to take an inordinate amount of effort to get the drain to suck up the dirt once I get it into a 'pile' at the drain. I have to keep pushing the dirt in with the brush. Seems like it should be sucking it right up like a vacuum cleaner, hence my hypothesis that it might be clogged a bit.
You will always have more suction at skimmers, much closer in elevation to the pump inlet, than the main drain unless you shut the skimmers down a bit. If you sweep to the drain you need to shut the skimmers off to get the best flow you can. If it pulls dirt in at all with the skimmers open it likely isn't clogged.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
You will always have more suction at skimmers, much closer in elevation to the pump inlet, than the main drain unless you shut the skimmers down a bit. If you sweep to the drain you need to shut the skimmers off to get the best flow you can. If it pulls dirt in at all with the skimmers open it likely isn't clogged.
I'll try this and report back once the pool is up and running in about a week. Still dealing with the fallout from this.

Attachments

• 20230406_155516.jpg
    20230406_155516.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
Someone I know had also alluded to this. What is the purpose of a floor drain with such restricted flow?

FWIW, I think my pool is over 20 years old.

Floor drains are more and more frequently being left out of new pool builds and if any problems come up with them, capping them off. They aren't necessary. I am not a fan of getting rid of them however. I think they are great for water circulation. In addition to the safety drain (2 into 1), I also have 3 returns on the bottom of my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.