sansuncal

Nov 19, 2020
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My PB’s plumber relocated 3HP Pentair VS pump and I later noticed that he just cut old 2’ pipe to the edge and left that inside check valve and then spigot new 2.5” pipe in n the check valve. Pump has 3” suction line before this check valve. It looks like pipe size is going from 3” suction line to check valve 2” ID then 2-2.5” check valve then 2.5” pump inlet to 2.5” outlet. Do you think it will cause pump to run hard due to kind constricted check valve or he should have ideally put a new 2.5-3” check valve? Any suggestions and recommendations..

Do you have a spa?

What speeds will you be running the pump?

It will make no difference at the low RPMs a VS pump is typically run at.

If you have a spa and need to run the pump full speed for the spa jets it may make a small amount of difference and even then I doubt you will feel the difference at the spa jets.

Yikes. That is my worry too, as pump needs to push at least 120 gpm for rain curtain and I wanted to run it at lower to mid speeds. That was the whole reason to plump 3” suction line for this water feature pump. Let me talk to PB tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3284.png
    IMG_3284.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 1
See how your rain curtain looks with the pump as is.

Do you have a spa?

What speeds will you be running the pump?

It will make no difference at the low RPMs a VS pump is typically run at.

If you have a spa and need to run the pump full speed for the spa jets it may make a small amount of difference and even then I doubt you will feel the difference at the spa jets.
Yes spa is on a separate shared 5 hp pump with pool so not a worry there. I am just angry at the plumber who didn’t care to ask me or PB who plumbed 3” suction line for this dedicated pump for rain curtain to maintain needed flow.

OK, so pump is only used for rain curtain.

I would see how it works and if you see any difference with the way it is setup.

My PB’s plumber relocated 3HP Pentair VS pump and I later noticed that he just cut old 2’ pipe to the edge and left that inside check valve and then spigot new 2.5” pipe in n the check valve. Pump has 3” suction line before this check valve. It looks like pipe size is going from 3” suction line to check valve 2” ID then 2-2.5” check valve then 2.5” pump inlet to 2.5” outlet. Do you think it will cause pump to run hard due to kind constricted check valve or he should have ideally put a new 2.5-3” check valve? Any suggestions and recommendations..
In that short distance there will likely be little to no impairment to the flow. Google "Bernoulli Principle."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.