Chasing a lower pH

toastchee

May 9, 2024
My buddy who maintains his own pool says that pH and alkalinity must be balanced first for everything to work correctly. To that end, I have tested my pool 3 times now with a high pH every time, even after adding 9.7 oz of muriatic acid 2 separate times.

I don't want to just keep dumping muriatic acid in if I don't have to, so maybe there is something else going on. I just did all my tests for the first time tonight and here are my results. Can ya take a look with me?

pH: 7.9
TA: 120
CYA: 0
CH: 160
FC: 3.2
CC: 0.6

Again it's my first time for most of these so apologies if I got them wrong. I would love some feedback as to what I might be doing wrong.

Thanks!
TC

My buddy who maintains his own pool says that pH and alkalinity must be balanced first for everything to work correctly
We kindly disagree with your buddy. Our sample size with 100s of thousands beats his *1*.

TA is our last concern and often isn't a concern at all, like now.
Again it's my first time for most of these so apologies if I got them wrong
The only thing you got wrong is the 25ml sample size for FC. Use 10ml and each drop is 1/2 FC.

Get 30 ppm of granular CYA hanging in a sock, carrot on a stick like, in front of a working return. Give it some time and squish it out later. FC is always King, and CYA protects the King. So.

Pay close attention to the FC until the CYA is dispersed / squished out. It can disappear in as little as 20 mins with no CYA. You must protect the King, until the mercenary you hired can do it.

Any Ph in the 7s is equally fine for you.

As you manage the ph to be in the 7s, the TA will fall on its own. When it gets near 60, it'll help slow the Ph rise.

Reactions: pjt