Changing manual vacuum head brushes

JoanC

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2012
Rome, GA
I need to replace the worn our brushes on my Hayward sp 1068 b manual vacuum head.
The metal on the brushes has rusted and corroded so they are stuck. Any ideas?
I've tried vinegar to no avail. Would WD-40 work?
Also, are re the Hayward brushes any better than the off brand?

Thank you!
Joan

The metal on the brushes has rusted and corroded so they are stuck. Any ideas?
They can be stubborn when old/rusted for sure. I had luck separating the two halves of the triangle and only having the bottom half applying pressure to the brushes. Then I'd wiggle and pull with pliers. You should see which way they want to slide out as they only go one way.
Also, are re the Hayward brushes any better than the off brand?
My original Hayward bristles lasted years and the off brand replacements rusted in one season. Then I went back to OEM and they rusted in a season also. I suspect none of them are made like they used to be. YMMV.

I limped through my first season with my old head (we moved and built again) last year and am starting this year with the new one that was part of the build. I'm interested to see how well the bristles hold up on the new one to see if it's better to buy a whole new vac head every couple of years, or buy several sets of bristles that don't last.

They can be stubborn when old/rusted for sure. I had luck separating the two halves of the triangle and only having the bottom half applying pressure to the brushes. Then I'd wiggle and pull with pliers. You should see which way they want to slide out as they only go one way.

My original Hayward bristles lasted years and the off brand replacements rusted in one season. Then I went back to OEM and they rusted in a season also. I suspect none of them are made like they used to be. YMMV.

I limped through my first season with my old head (we moved and built again) last year and am starting this year with the new one that was part of the build. I'm interested to see how well the bristles hold up on the new one to see if it's better to buy a whole new vac head every couple of years, or buy several sets of bristles that don't last.
Yes, very stubborn. the clam shell as you called it came apart fine. It is the corroded metal base to the brushes that won't budge when grasped with pliers at the open end of the tunnel. I can't find my WED-40 so I tried cooking spray. Nope. Still stuck.
I really hate to give up and buy a whole new head but I don't think I have a choice. Maybe lesson learned. I hope the brushes on it last more than one season.
Good luck with yours and thank you for your help!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.