Changed pumps

Hayseed

Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Keyser, WV
I have an inclosed deck. Had to climb through access door in the deck to access pump, sand filter. I am getting too old to be climbing through hatch doors and working in confined spaces. So I bought an in ground pump and put that and the sand filter outside the deck, above the water line, now the water pumping into the pool through the return line is working but weirdly. It runs and pumps the water just fine for maybe 7 to 10 minutes, then the water surges hard then goes back to normal, i this cycle is continuous. Any thoughts, I have drain lines that I opened up to flush any air that might be causing this. Thanks for any help

I am thinking that maybe the pump is losing prime due to an air leak on the suction side? Could be pulling the water faster than it can be fed. Might want to try installing a check valve on the suction line to the pump from the pool. Problem is you are using mis-matched equipment in terms of design. Not that it can't be done but rather you are going to have some issues like this one that will need to be sorted out.

Good reference:

This really is just a good explanation of the differences.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.