CH is high, but so are temperatures

zcmack

Apr 1, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

I have been procrastinating a drain for far too long this year and am not sure how to proceed. My overall pH / FC /CYA balance is doing ok this year, but I did not drain in March as usual and have reached a CH of 675. Pool math says I should drain 33% of the pool, but from my reading here it seems like draining and exposing my pebble tec surface in temperatures >100 are potentially worse for the pool than running with high hardness. Any thoughts on how best to proceed?

Keep your pH in the 7's and control TA in the double digits and you can wait until next winter to do a drain and refill.

Do you have a water softener?

thanks @mknauss! I do have a softener for the house thats not plumbed in a convenient way to get to the pool. I was considering running a hose from my first floor bath tub but I'd have to leave a door cracked for quite awhile and in this heat that'd be a bit silly.

I was doing some research on portablewatersoftener.com to see if I could install a unit that could be easily toggled on my autofill line, this seems like it would let me get away with draining less frequently.

I have a RV water softener for my pool. You have to manually regenerate it. This time of year I do it every two weeks or a bit less. I can process about 700 gallons of fill water before it needs to be regenerated. I would take a hard look at trying to tap into a cold water line from inside the house so you can use your existing softener.

the manual regeneration process would take about an hour every two weeks? i definitely see the value in plumbing the fill valve to my softener. i'll get in touch with a plumber and see what i can do. if this gets me to a situation where i only need to drain every other year it pays for itself in time savings rather quickly.

Takes about an hour for the manual regeneration. I have an RV dump spot in my garage so I can use that to run the flush water during the regen.

I last fully drained my pool in Nov 2020. Did a small drain / refill with soft water last fall. My CH stays in the 400 ppm range. With a proper water softener, many have their CH level stay constant. Thus you should very rarely have to drain and refill.

Reactions: zcmack
I have the larger model of the RV water softeners. You can check the link in my signature. I flush mine at about 1500 gallons. It's kind of a pain and not the greatest solution. If I was in your situation, my first choice would be to plumb my existing softener into the fill line. Second choice, standalone water softeners can be purchased for under $500. Depending on your situation, you may be able to install a dedicated softener for your pool. You would need some type of shelter for the system, a water source, electrical, and a way to dispose of the effluent. An RV softener would be my final choice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.