Ceramic waterline tile glaze flaking, crazing, cracking and chipping after less than 1 year (after pool was closed for winter)

cessna310j

Aug 4, 2022
Fredericksburg, VA
Hello,

We just had a fiberglass pool installed with waterline ceramic tiles. Our installer closed the pool for the season (at which point the tiles were fine), but when they opened the pool this week, we noticed that the tiles are crazing, cracking and chipping, and in some cases, large hunks are breaking off. I read that tiles should last for 5 to 10 years on a fiberglass pool in Virginia. I am assuming this is a defect in the tiles/firing of the tiles. Does anyone have some insight as to what may be causing this and what we can do to have it corrected? The tiles and install were not cheap and we expected them to last for more than 9 months.

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Tile Image 1.jpg
    Tile Image 1.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Tile Image 2.jpg
    Tile Image 2.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Tile Image 3.jpg
    Tile Image 3.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Tile Image 4.jpg
    Tile Image 4.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Tile Image 5.jpg
    Tile Image 5.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Tile Image 6.jpg
    Tile Image 6.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Tile Image 7.jpg
    Tile Image 7.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Tile Image 8.jpg
    Tile Image 8.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 5
Hello,

We just had a fiberglass pool installed with waterline ceramic tiles. Our installer closed the pool for the season (at which point the tiles were fine), but when they opened the pool this week, we noticed that the tiles are crazing, cracking and chipping, and in some cases, large hunks are breaking off. I read that tiles should last for 5 to 10 years on a fiberglass pool in Virginia. I am assuming this is a defect in the tiles/firing of the tiles. Does anyone have some insight as to what may be causing this and what we can do to have it corrected? The tiles and install were not cheap and we expected them to last for more than 9 months.

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Were these actual pool tiles? If not, they are not waterproof, soak up water when the pool is in use, then freeze damage can occur. If so, defective it would seem.