kbuhagiar

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2022
Escondido, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello Folks,

Our fifteen-year-old single-speed pump motor finally gave out, of course while we were out of town for two weeks. I was able to arrange for replacement while I was away and since I was not able to do the usual amount of research I left it to someone else to choose the replacement motor. He installed a Century VGreen Evo variable speed motor which, at first glance, seems to be a worthy choice. The default program seems reasonable, running for two hours at full (3450RPM) speed, then two hours at 2750, then 4 hours at 1750, and the remainder of run time at 1150. My control/automation system is an ancient Compool (Pentair?) CP3400 which has served us well up to this point. The instructions show how to interface with other, newer control systems, but not mine.

(1) Does anyone know of any way for me to interface my existing Compool/Pentair system with the new motor?

(2) If not, should I really be concerned? The new pump motor is quieter, runs smoothly and should save some energy, would I actually gain any advantages from being interfaced with my panel?

(3) Should I consider updating my control system in order to be fully compatible with my new pump motor?

I'm probably overthinking this :LOL::ROFLMAO:, which is why I decided to present these questions to the group.

Thanks in advance!

CP3400 will control a single-speed pump, and with the proper relay, a 2-speed. The new EVO operates as a single speed pump, turning on when power is applied from a relay. Then, its internal programming takes over. When the programmed "off" time removes power it shuts down and starts again the next time power is applied. If the power is removed to service the pump, the programming re-starts when power is again applied.
The Compool CP line came out long before variable-speed pumps did, so they cannot communicate with one.
If you decide to upgrade your system, unless the new motor is the EVO with Century Connect, it still won't be able to directly communicate and change speeds.

The Compool CP line came out long before variable-speed pumps did, so they cannot communicate with one.
If you decide to upgrade your system, unless the new motor is the EVO with Century Connect, it still won't be able to directly communicate and change speeds.
The new motor is the EVQ225 and the accompanying instruction booklet states that it includes 'Century Connect' automation. The instructions show how to connected to an automated panel but unfortunately, as you mention, the CP3400 was not designed to communicate with one.

And since the EVQ225 is compatible with newer automated control systems, the question remains whether there would be any substantial benefit to upgrading to a newer system?

The new motor is the EVQ225 and the accompanying instruction booklet states that it includes 'Century Connect' automation. The instructions show how to connected to an automated panel but unfortunately, as you mention, the CP3400 was not designed to communicate with one.

And since the EVQ225 is compatible with newer automated control systems, the question remains whether there would be any substantial benefit to upgrading to a newer system?
Much depends on how often you are going to manually make changes to motor speeds or use the spa. It is very convenient to use a phone app to have the spa heated when you get home. Its great if you have water features, like laminar jets or a waterfall, that you want to turn on without going to the pad. Its nice to be able to monitor the system without going out, though some things will still need to be checked visually. Your indoor panel would go away as it is not compatible with the newer "stuff."

With a CP3400 (4 relays) you, likely, have a standard pool/spa combo without a lot of "bells and whistles." Anything you upgrade to would increase the capability of the system (8 relay sockets, 4 more relays would have to be purchased) to use more/different equipment if you have enough power at the power center now, large enough wiring to support the load.

Much depends on how often you are going to manually make changes to motor speeds or use the spa. It is very convenient to use a phone app to have the spa heated when you get home. Its great if you have water features, like laminar jets or a waterfall, that you want to turn on without going to the pad. Its nice to be able to monitor the system without going out, though some things will still need to be checked visually. Your indoor panel would go away as it is not compatible with the newer "stuff."

With a CP3400 (4 relays) you, likely, have a standard pool/spa combo without a lot of "bells and whistles." Anything you upgrade to would increase the capability of the system (8 relay sockets, 4 more relays would have to be purchased) to use more/different equipment if you have enough power at the power center now, large enough wiring to support the load.
All very good points, thanks for that.

We are good right now without all the bells and whistles, so I'm thinking I'll just leave it be and utilize the programs built into the new EVO motor. I should still save on energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.