Cellulose: Long term feedback please?

Dan-H

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2011
No. CA
I'm looking for long term feedback on cellulose as a filter media.

Pentair FNS 60, Sta Rite variable speed.

Years ago I removed the backwash valve so I never backwash, always just completely clean the filter grids by removing and hosing down in the garden.

Cost doesn't seem horribly out of line so the questions I have are long-term, how is this working for people?

Has anyone switched to Cellulose, then gone back to DE?

Thanks in advance.

Why are you wanting to move away from DE? I too do not backwash rather clean the grids when necessary and minimize debris entering my filter by using a robot pool cleaner and skimmer basket nets. You may have to clean your grids more often with cellulose as it will absorb oils and restrict flow. It seems perlite is another option.

I tried cellulose in my DE filter a few years ago. Filter clogged much more quickly and requried more frequent backwashings. It wasn't worth the trouble and I went back to DE. I still have a bag or two of the stuff in the garage.

Thanks for the comments. I haven't decided to switch. Just asking for input.

The reason Why I'm asking is several stores have stopped stocking DE. Though it remains available at a Lowes and Home depot.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.