Cell no power - what to do until I get this fixed?

You should pour the CYA reagent back and forth a few times to see if you are consistent. It should also be done in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist. Just round to the nearest 10ppm when you report it.

How does your water look? Any algae or need to SLAM? If not, assuming the CYA is in the 30-40ppm, you will want to raise that up to the 70-80ppm range we recommend for SWG pools.

Yup, blue is what you want. And that means if you add yet another drop it doesn't get any bluer (you won't count that last drop you added just to make sure you were as blue as blue can be!)

Same idea with the TA test- go until it's as pink/red as it will get and that last drop which doesn't change it anymore (brighter pink red) won't be counted. I always get pink at 70, then bright pink-red at 80 and no more change if I add yet another drop.

Thanks for your reply. I'll retest tonight to make sure I have it right. A touch of color-blindness on my part doesn't help anything! :D The girlfriend helps me confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

You should pour the CYA reagent back and forth a few times to see if you are consistent. It should also be done in bright indirect light with the tube at your waist. Just round to the nearest 10ppm when you report it.

How does your water look? Any algae or need to SLAM? If not, assuming the CYA is in the 30-40ppm, you will want to raise that up to the 70-80ppm range we recommend for SWG pools.

The water has looked great since I refilled six weeks ago, and still looks perfect now. Being a new pool owner I've been a bit OCD with this stuff and keeping very close tabs on things to the best of my ability.

I was planning on raising the CYA but listening to some advice earlier in this thread (from you!) I help off until I had the SWG working again. Fortunately, that time is here.

Last question - my chlorine number is pretty high. Other than potentially being a bit irritating, is there anything I should do with it? It's starting to get warm here in Phoenix so I would guess it will start to drop, but should I dial back the SWG until it comes down to a more reasonable level? Or should I not change anything?

As you increase the CYA, you will want to likely decrease the SWG output. It is perfectly safe to swim up to SLAM level FC, so I would not worry too much about it being a little high. It will still be less irritating than the water at public pools where CYA is not used.

Thanks for all of your help, jblizzle. And to everyone else. This really is an awesome website.

I lied - I do have more questions. But they're not relevant to this topic and they're not urgent so I'll put them somewhere else appropriate some other time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.