Caught an algae outbreak early but need some advice please

Re: Caught an algae outbreak early but need some advice plea

Interesting, thanks Dave. The water is improving visually but is definitely still cloudy, which I fully expect for the next 5-7 days. I will assume CC levels approaching zero in my case simply means the chlorine is doing its job but it's far too early to start celebrating.

Yes sir, I am sticking to the process. I did not do a bona fide OCLT as I measured FC at 1:00 am versus right after sunset but from 1:00 am to 7:00 am I had very minor FC loss of 1-2 ppm. So that is a good sign. I will do a legit OCLT tonight. CC is ~0.5 so another good sign. Water is visibly better again this morning. I am hoping to be back to normal by the weekend.

I hate that I had to even go through this but I am glad this community exists to help me through it. It wasn't as painless as it could have been. Thanks for all the feedback and help.

I think I am almost there. CC tested at 0 just now. Will raise to shock level and then do part 1 of OCLT after sun goes down this evening. There is a TINY hint of cloudiness in the water, but I think another day or two of shock level will get things back to normal.

Don't short yourself when you get soooo close. Keep the pedal down and FC up until you pass all of the tests. I would hate to see it green next week.

Sounds like the deluge drained out your CYA...

I hear ya man, I would rather keep the FC higher too long than the opposite. I think we'll be back in business by the weekend.

Re: CYA, I am always cautious about adding too much CYA. I think it caught up with me because every time I have tested it the CYA level is within the 30-50 range. I don't have a baseline to understand how much the CYA level is affected by heavy rain but clearly it has a greater impact than I thought. The CYA doesn't just disappear.

I've been silent too long. It's time for me to ask, why is your thing a picture of the ShamWow guy? I've always been wondering, and now I just have to know. Anyway, sounds like you are on the way to a clear pool.

haha! I really have no idea. I have had many strange avatar pics on forums. So to answer your question, there is no answer :D It at least makes me stand out!

OCLT was 1.5, so still have a little way to go there. CC still at 0.5 and water clarity is close to "normal" if not already there.

OK... just because I know it exists.. SLAM-WOW for your viewing pleasure

[youtube:37dil9gh]3BYCW7zEYAw[/youtube:37dil9gh]

SLAMSON is the mascot of the Sacramento Kings and these were shown in the arena during game breaks. The presenter is the in-arena host for the games and the voice-over guy is the in-game arena announcer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.