Catch basin for raised (about 12ft) infinity edge

Sparko

Dec 12, 2021
Arizona
First, I am NOT a pool guy. I've read a lot, that is about it. During my house build, just beginning, I will have an approximately 16ft x 36 ft rectangular pool with an infinity edge. The land is sloped and one 16ft pool edge will be about 12ft above grade. The last 7ft of the pool on either side on that end will also be 10-12ft above grade (as the terrace stops and the pool continues in its length). So, in total, roughly 30ft of raised infinity edge way above ground level. The catch basin will also serve as the balancing tank. I am looking for economical and technically sound options for the catch basin in this scenario. I expect the catch basin to be about 3ft wide on each side. Letting the water fall 8-10ft is an option (I know the sound will be loud) but I'm thinking of building the catch basin up 8 ft (or more) so the water does not have to far to fall (less wind loss issues, and added safety, as well). This would also allow easy access to all catch basin plumbing from behind the built up supporting wall. I live in a climate where the pool can be used year round. Since I have time and the ability to make changes to the catch basin design over the next 2 months, I wanted to hear about any good solutions (or issues) in dealing with a very raised infinity edge as it relates to catch basin options. Maybe I am missing something I should consider.

The shorter the distance the water will fall the better chance you will have in catching the most of it.
Wind is a factor in the design size of the basin so the shorter the fall will lessen its influence.
The catch basin will need to have access for servicing, if elevated too high above the ground his may come into play.
Water in transit, bather surge and evaporation are all factors that will go into engineering the catch basin size.

The shorter the distance the water will fall the better chance you will have in catching the most of it.
Wind is a factor in the design size of the basin so the shorter the fall will lessen its influence.
The catch basin will need to have access for servicing, if elevated too high above the ground his may come into play.
Water in transit, bather surge and evaporation are all factors that will go into engineering the catch basin size.
Thank you for the reply. Agree, seems raising the basin up quite a bit is the best solution (for several reasons). Will have a tall step ladder available for plumbing access, if needed. I believe the catch basin volume will be a bit larger than needed (using a couple of the calculation methods I've seen) but that is ok with me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.