mstubblefield

Feb 21, 2019
Lakeway, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an 11 year old pool with a cascading waterfall that has been working just fine until last summer. I've spent the last few months trying to fix the issue with no luck. I've backwashed and cleaned out everything I can to ensure proper water flow. The right side of the cascading waterfall shoots out water with lots of force while the left side of the cascading waterfall flows less than it use to. I've cleaned out the front flow area with a hacksaw blade and a waterfall cleaner tool I found online. Nothing seems to help. If I turn off the waterfall for a couple weeks, the force of the water on the right side is not as strong (still stronger than it was in the past), but after a few days, the right side of the waterfall is once again forcefully blowing water very hard out of the opening.

I've considered cutting the water line to the waterfall and inserting a snake like camera I have to see if I see anything odd but, honestly, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for other than debris.

Any ideas from this esteemed group? Thank you for any thoughts. - Mike

Attachments

• waterfall issue.png
    waterfall issue.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 23
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I don't suppose you have any pics of that waterfall when it was being constructed do you? That area where the water flows out from, how wide is it? It's two separate slots correct? You slipped the hacksaw blade in there because it's a thin opening hoping to clean out the mouth of each opening?

How far away is the waterfall from the equipment pad?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately I purchased the home 5 years ago, a few years after the home was built so no construction pics. The area the water flows from is 18"-24". It's a single slot waterfall. Just looks like two because the water pressure is so much greater on one side. Yes, the hacksaw blade was thin and long to get into the opening to clear out any leaves or other debris that it might reach - no sawing or adjustments were done, it was like a long toothpick to get in there. The waterfall is approx. 30'-40' from the equipment.

Let's ask @AQUA~HOLICS if he is aware of anything unique about this type of waterfall "spout" that would results in the odd spraying like this. The only thing I can think of is perhaps some calcium build up over the years is plugging up the exit and maybe you can't reach it with that blade. Not sure. :scratch:

Let's ask @AQUA~HOLICS if he is aware of anything unique about this type of waterfall "spout" that would results in the odd spraying like this. The only thing I can think of is perhaps some calcium build up over the years is plugging up the exit and maybe you can't reach it with that blade. Not sure. :scratch:
Thanks @Texas Splash. We definitely have hard water here. Will look into that.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It appears as though debris has gotten into the sheer descent that's built into the wall. Installers are supposed to put a T before the laminar sheer to act as a gravity well for capturing junk. Many skip that step. My guess is you're going to have to pop off those stone caps to get to the laminar sheer from within the wall and see if it can be taken apart and cleaned out. Small stones, grit, dirt, pebbles stuck in the sheer can cause what you are seeing there.

Reactions: Texas Splash
It appears as though debris has gotten into the sheer descent that's built into the wall. Installers are supposed to put a T before the laminar sheer to act as a gravity well for capturing junk. Many skip that step. My guess is you're going to have to pop off those stone caps to get to the laminar sheer from within the wall and see if it can be taken apart and cleaned out. Small stones, grit, dirt, pebbles stuck in the sheer can cause what you are seeing there.
Thanks @JoyfulNoise. I think the sheer waterfall is one of the self enclosed kind. See pic below. Based on what I see online, it seems waterfall with plastic all around the opening are self enclosed so would lifting capstone off get me the needed access? Wondering if I cut the PVC water supply on the backside of the waterfall and blast water into the front might flush the waterfall and anything inside. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpeg
    IMG_3214.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 12
It’s hard to say what the best course of action is.

Is that wall part of the pool structure or was it constructed using c-block on top of the pools bond beam?

Do you know who the equipment manufacturer of that sheer is? Part or model numbers?

It’s hard to say what the best course of action is.

Is that wall part of the pool structure or was it constructed using c-block on top of the pools bond beam?

Do you know who the equipment manufacturer of that sheer is? Part or model numbers?
Unfortunately I have no info on the construction or parts used for the pool. I believe the wall was constructed separate from the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you tried running the hacksaw blade in there while it is operating? You might even try notching the end of the blade like a hook and seeing if you can snag whatever is in there.

If the waterfall has its own line all the way to the equipment, you could also try running a shop vac to suck and a pressure washer or garden hose to send water backwards through the line.

A scope would probably tell you what you are dealing with as well.

I have an 11 year old pool with a cascading waterfall that has been working just fine until last summer. I've spent the last few months trying to fix the issue with no luck. I've backwashed and cleaned out everything I can to ensure proper water flow. The right side of the cascading waterfall shoots out water with lots of force while the left side of the cascading waterfall flows less than it use to. I've cleaned out the front flow area with a hacksaw blade and a waterfall cleaner tool I found online. Nothing seems to help. If I turn off the waterfall for a couple weeks, the force of the water on the right side is not as strong (still stronger than it was in the past), but after a few days, the right side of the waterfall is once again forcefully blowing water very hard out of the opening.

I've considered cutting the water line to the waterfall and inserting a snake like camera I have to see if I see anything odd but, honestly, I'm not sure what I'd be looking for other than debris.

Any ideas from this esteemed group? Thank you for any thoughts. - Mike
This guide may help:

Have you tried running the hacksaw blade in there while it is operating? You might even try notching the end of the blade like a hook and seeing if you can snag whatever is in there.

If the waterfall has its own line all the way to the equipment, you could also try running a shop vac to suck and a pressure washer or garden hose to send water backwards through the line.

A scope would probably tell you what you are dealing with as well.
Yes, tried with the waterfall running and not running. Left it not running for a couple weeks and tried that as well. I've tried a garden hose "jet" but not tried the pressure washer - good idea. I have a scope but I was hoping to solve the issue before cutting open the back as the front of the waterfall isn't much wider than a hack saw blade. Thanks for the ideas @MAPR-Austin.

Yes, tried with the waterfall running and not running. Left it not running for a couple weeks and tried that as well. I've tried a garden hose "jet" but not tried the pressure washer - good idea. I have a scope but I was hoping to solve the issue before cutting open the back as the front of the waterfall isn't much wider than a hack saw blade. Thanks for the ideas @MAPR-Austin.
The actual fall is a sealed assembly, not designed to be taken apart.

Reactions: mstubblefield
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.