Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2022
Donna, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was cleaning the DE filter on the indoor pool and the manifold broke. The pad layout sucks and the DE filter is hard to get to and cumbersome. I am thinking about replacing it with a cartridge filter. It is a 12500-gallon pool with an enormous swimmer load during the winter.10 ladies use it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for exercise. I can't even estimate the other usage. The grids are shot from oil. Is there some sort of a grease trap/filter I can add to the pump circuit? I know about the little balls but that seems like a lot of work. Sorry, I am rambling.
So cartridge filter to make cleaning easier?
Oil trap?

Where is all this "oil" coming from?
It's an indoor pool. No one should be slathering on sunscreen or any oil.

A Pentair CCP 420 or 520 cartridge filter may serve you well.
If the oil problem continues, you will have to clean the cartridges and soak in a TSP bath to rid them of the oil. So two sets of cartridges would minimize pool usage down time.

I would think a couple scum bugs in the skimmer would soak up the majority of the oil. Just rinse them out when you do your normal maintenance check.

Generally speaking, a sand filter might be a better fit for you. It won't "clog" as much as a cartridge and you elinate cartridge expenses.

I know, I know "they" will say a cartridge filter will retain much finer particles (true) but therein is the issue......it will clog easier,too

Sand still gets your pool crystal clear and would be my choice unless you can solve your "oil" issue nu not asking the filter to absorb it.

Reactions: HermanTX
I agree with duraleigh's suggestion on the sand filter IF you are able to run the backwash water in a way that meets local codes. In my area, on a commercial pool, it must go to an air-gapped sump that can hold all the backwash without overflowing and that drains to the sanitary sewer.
It will likely raise some controversy, but when actively servicing high-use (commercial) pools I wouldn't even consider it without using (and charging for) an enzyme product. Made life much easier. Never saw a use for it on residential pools.

Where is all this "oil" coming from?
It's an indoor pool. No one should be slathering on sunscreen or any oil.

A Pentair CCP 420 or 520 cartridge filter may serve you well.
If the oil problem continues, you will have to clean the cartridges and soak in a TSP bath to rid them of the oil. So two sets of cartridges would minimize pool usage down
This is an over 55 park. Older people wear lotion and perfume. I imagine that is where most of the oil is coming from.

I agree with duraleigh's suggestion on the sand filter IF you are able to run the backwash water in a way that meets local codes. In my area, on a commercial pool, it must go to an air-gapped sump that can hold all the backwash without overflowing and that drains to the sanitary sewer.
It will likely raise some controversy, but when actively servicing high-use (commercial) pools I wouldn't even consider it without using (and charging for) an enzyme product. Made life much easier. Never saw a use for it on residential pools.
I considered sand until I read the deep cleaning sticky. I think I will go with two sets of filters for fast and frequent cleanings.
I know some of the pool overflows/backwash are plumbed into septic tanks. I would like to stop backwashing completely.

Generally speaking, a sand filter might be a better fit for you. It won't "clog" as much as a cartridge and you elinate cartridge expenses.

I know, I know "they" will say a cartridge filter will retain much finer particles (true) but therein is the issue......it will clog easier,too

Sand still gets your pool crystal clear and would be my choice unless you can solve your "oil" issue nu not asking the filter to absorb it.
I would still have the access problem with a sand filter though.

Attachments

• Filter IMG_20230403_094559147_HDR.jpg
    Filter IMG_20230403_094559147_HDR.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 8
  • Filter IMG_20230403_094607150_HDR.jpg
    Filter IMG_20230403_094607150_HDR.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Filter IMG_20230403_094616906_HDR.jpg
    Filter IMG_20230403_094616906_HDR.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Filter IMG_20230403_094640504_HDR.jpg
    Filter IMG_20230403_094640504_HDR.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 8
Its all the oil of olay stuff lol 😆 Us ladies love our beauty products. Sounds similar to the place my mom lives. They have pool activities every there. Try some scum bugs in the skimmers or even some tennis balls to collect the oils. I have had good results with the scumbugs during parties.
If you go for cartridges be sure to heed the warning above & use tsp to rid them of grease before using anything that is acidic in any way or you will just solidify the grease & ruin the filters.

This is an over 55 park. Older people wear lotion and perfume. I imagine that is where most of the oil is coming from.
Is there any way you can get the swimmers to shower before entering the pool?

When I was in college, the only allowed way to get to the indoor pool was through the shower rooms.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its all the oil of olay stuff lol 😆 Us ladies love our beauty products. Sounds similar to the place my mom lives. They have pool activities every there. Try some scum bugs in the skimmers or even some tennis balls to collect the oils. I have had good results with the scumbugs during parties.
If you go for cartridges be sure to heed the warning above & use tsp to rid them of grease before using anything that is acidic in any way or you will just solidify the grease & ruin the filters.
Thanks for the tip.

Is there any way you can get the swimmers to shower before entering the pool?

When I was in college, the only allowed way to get to the indoor pool was through the shower rooms.
They are 55+, and most of them are 75+. There is no talking to them. This is a 'resort' so no shower maze, but I would like one.

Reactions: Mdragger88
They are 55+, and most of them are 75+. There is no talking to them. This is a 'resort' so no shower maze, but I would like one.
I imagine many of them also wear makeup 💄 since it’s one of their main outings for the day. I know the ladies at my mom’s resort get dolled up for pool class.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.