Cartridge filter, not a sand filter, yet, I am noticing sand

Thank you all for helping to arrive at the source of the sand. I should have thought of that earlier but it makes complete sense now. I'm glad it's nothing serious like plumbing or plaster. Almost had heart attack James about my finish LOL! Must maintain proper calcium in the pool.

James, one last question re: plaster. You ever hear of Jack's Magic The Blue Stuff for when you're first breaking in finish? I don't think my installers ever did add that but didn't know if it was a bunch of BS or if you think it's worth adding now? Probably marketing gimic?

Nick's Pool:

A follow-up comment on your original question about the sand/dirt in the skimmer. Whenever we get a good rain, surface debris (sand/dirt, etc.) as well as airborne debris will appear in the pool. And this is in a backyard with an aggregate patio and no trees. Still amazes me how much stuff gets in there. So, in your case, the patio paver sand sounds like a very plausible cause. And the early spring is particularly interesting when pollen is added to the mix. Many people see yellow pollen debris in the pool and mistakenly think they have yellow algae. There is period of a week or so where my patio furniture looks like it was sprinkled with pixie dust...and that's under a covered patio.

Sounds like you've gotten great advice. I can only add when I first got my pool I was a freak about it. Testing every day, looking and learning about all the intricacies of it. It gets better, you get to know your pool. You'll learn how much chlorine you'll use on a daily basis, then you may slow your testing to 3 times a week, then weekly. Your CH will tend to say fixed. May go down over time if you're not using pucks.

I did a write up on my pool cleaner ($400) for robotic cleaner, overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.