Cartridge Filter Concern

Jun 28, 2016
Westerville/oh
At the beginning of June, I had my sand filter replaced with a cartridge filter and downsized to a 1hp pump due to my pool having a 1.5hp when I bought the house and was told that is too much power. Couple weeks ago pressure started going wonky and gauge makes a buzzing sound. In doing some reading I am now concerned I don't have the right size filter for my pool. I have the Hayward Xtreme 100 sq. foot. This is what was recommended, I cannot believe they didn't try to upsell me unless they knew I would have to turn around and buy a larger one.

My pool is so green. Yes, I am slamming it and staying on top of it, but nothing is changing and I think I have a filter issue. I am feeling kind of dumb right now. :(

Algae is not a filtering issue, it is a chemistry issue. Be sure you are following SLAM Process. Read the article.

Though yes, your cartridge filter is way undersized for your pool. Standard rule of thumb is 100 sf per 10000 gallons. So at a minimum you should have a 200 sf filter cartridge.

I went way over size as I am lazy. Clean it once a year. Have never seen the pressure increase at all.

I will keep following slam as I have been, but this is the first time this process hasn't even put a dent in the issue so I am getting a bit frustrated. When I purchased the filter I was told size didn't matter with a cartridge filter. I provided the size of my pool and everything. I now wish they had tried to upsell me as I would have bought a larger one from the start.
Maybe I will hook my sand filter back up for now too

If you still have the sand filter it will help you greatly to get through the initial stages of a SLAM.

If your pool is still green after 36-48 hours of a SLAM then something is not right. Either your CYA test is incorrect and you are not using enough chlorine or you are not following the Maintain part of SLAM diligently enough.

Once your pool turns cloudy blue, then the cartridge filter would be best to clear the pool.

Kris,

What is your CYA level and what FC # are you using to start your SLAM ?

Also, assuming you are using liquid bleach, what concentration is it and what are the expiration dates?

These are starter questions?

CYA level is currently 70 and FC#, if I am doing it correctly, is 22. I use 8.25% bleach. I cannot seem to get ahead of this pea soup even though I am staying on top of it morning and night. All the rain we are getting is ever so helpful.

For a SLAM level FC with CYA of 70 you need 28 ppm FC.

To get your SLAM started you should be testing and adding chlorine every couple hours. After a day or so that will slow down. But not less than 4 times a day. Or else your SLAM will drag on forever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.