Cartridge filter advice needed

SCS15

Feb 10, 2018
Mahopac, NY
Hey all

Looking for advice on a new cartridge filter. Had issues with my old pentair cartridge filter last season and my installer recommended the Hayward w3c4030 for a 30k gallon salt pool. As I’m researching it, I see there are knock off filters like dohenys and Harris for 20-30% less costs. Anyone have experience with these filters or is it worth the extra money for the Hayward. Thanks for any advice!

Your cartridges should last a minimum of 5 years and more likely over 10 years -- so I suspect prices will change over that time.

Pleatco is well regarded manufacturer of cartridges here on the forum.

SC,

If you had a problem with your Pentair cartridge filter, you will most likely have the same problem with any cartridge filter you buy...

Tell us what kind of problem you had? What size was your old filter?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don't have any experience with the brands you mention. They all appear to be manufactured the same way to me and all seem to outlast their warranty from the posts on here. I personally prefer Pentair brand but I can't say the filter housing is really any better than the others. My Jandy installed by the builder is going on 8 years and has no indication of eminent failure. All I've done to it is replace the gauge and the o-rings once. There are differences in the technology for cartridges but I don't see that it makes much difference in practice. Several brands I've used including Pleatco and Unicel seem to last 2-3 years. Mine is sized so I clean about twice per year. One thing I do like is the single cartridge. But it's large and heavy; so others might prefer multiple smaller units. It's 250 sq feet and it takes about 20 min to clean with a comb style hose end cleaner.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Sorry, to be more clear it was a problem with the assembly, outer plastics and fittings. It was an older unit. The problem is not with the actual filter, I change that every year.

If that is the case, then it really don't matter which filter you get.. I am not sure why your pool guy is recommending a Hayward unless he can get them cheaper.. They are not better nor worse than any other cartridge filter..

What size filter are you going to get?

I am still using the original cartridges after almost 7 years.. I will be unhappy if I have to replace them before they are 10 years old.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If that is the case, then it really don't matter which filter you get.. I am not sure why your pool guy is recommending a Hayward unless he can get them cheaper.. They are not better nor worse than any other cartridge filter..

What size filter are you going to get?

I am still using the original cartridges after almost 7 years.. I will be unhappy if I have to replace them before they are 10 years old.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Not sure if it’s cheaper for him or not but still charging me 1150 retail. The knock off ones are about 800.

I live in a wooded area with a lot of Pollun. My cartridges would never last 7 years and they are relatively cheap anyway.
The size filter recommended is 425 sq ft I believe. Do you think that’s good?

I live in a wooded area with a lot of Pollun. My cartridges would never last 7 years and they are relatively cheap anyway.
Mine were going strong after 8.5 when we moved. We had about 80 oaks on an acre with tons more nearby. Pollen city. They hosed clean once all the pollen was down each spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow that's a lot of years! Then again I can't say I really needed to replace mine other than it just seemed like it had been a long time. No band failures or leaks or anything like that.

Then again I can't say I really needed to replace mine other than it just seemed like it had been a long time. No band failures or leaks or anything like that.
You would have known if they actually needed it. It also could have been high psi to go along with the visible failures. But don't worry, you are amongst other enthusiast friends here who don't judge if you replace something because it feels right. :)

I have one set going on 8 years and 1 set at 6 years, both work great still.. for 7 years they saw about 5 psi on low 95% of the time and 15 psi on high 5%.. No I have a VS motor and the filters see 2 psi 16 to 20 hours and 4 psi the remaining :)

There about to be connected to a new pool and see how long they will last on it (y)

In cold climates, when winterizing the pool, do you remove and clean the cartridges and store them in the garage or put them back in the filter? Does freezing or getting totally dried out for months hurt or distort them? I guess if two sets are used, one set will get dried out.

Ok, thanks. My equipment is unplugged and drained for 5 months while my pool is an ice cube. I guess I will think about it this season.
I clean my cartridge, let everything dry in the garage, and then store the pump and filter in my basement for the winter.

Reactions: newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.