Caretaker 99 Pump Speed

Dec 11, 2016
Fountain Hills, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Curious at what RPM others have been running their in floor VSP.

I am at 3000 to get 20 psi at the new caretaker valve.

Newer sand filter gauge is running about 21 which is likely variation between instruments.

Reactions: BDY
Every pool is different.
The pump rpm for an IFCS needs to be whatever cleans the pool to your satisfaction.

For me and my pool, that's 2900 rpm in two 2 hour run times daily (6am-8am and 4pm to 6pm).
The other 20 hours of the day, I run the pump at 1200 rpm to satisfy the SWG flow switch and for skimming.
Running 24/7 isn't required, but works well for my pool - and cost is less than $20/month total for SWG and pump.

Right. I was interested in knowing psi vs rpm for the caretaker. It has min max specs for psi. How many rpm to produce that specific to the caretaker. That is alll but thanks for replying.

That is dependent on the pump, how your diverter valves are set and plumbing - every system will be different.
What someone else has for psi and rpm won't necessarily pertain to your system.

You can experiment with different RPMs to see what your caretaker gauge reads and how the system performs. Maybe increase/decrease 100 RPM at a time to see what happens. Or if it's all working to your liking, don't mess with it.

That is dependent on the pump, how your diverter valves are set and plumbing - every system will be different.
What someone else has for psi and rpm won't necessarily pertain to your system.

You can experiment with different RPMs to see what your caretaker gauge reads and how the system performs. Maybe increase/decrease 100 RPM at a time to see what happens. Or if it's all working to your liking, don't mess with it.
Again. I am just looking for data point. What is your caretaker rpm/psi. Thanks

I have an A&A IFCS. See post #2 for my RPM and run time.
The A&A system doesn't use a pressure gauge at the water distribution valve.

Again, others system setups, RPMs and pressures won't apply to your system as every pool set up is different. You need to experiment with RPMs and runtimes to determine what works best in your pool. Start with what Caretaker recommends and tweak it from there. Others data points won't apply to your system.

Every system is different, so you need to know what your system curve looks like, which is dependent on the plumbing.

21 psi is 48.5 feet of head loss.

If we estimate the suction side head loss at 7.5 feet, then that is a total of 56 feet.

If you have the regular IntelliFlo VSF, we can use the pump performance curve to estimate the flow to be about 85 GPM.

56 feet at 85 GPM is a system curve of H = 0.00775225F^2, which is close to curve "C".

By superimposing the system curve onto the pump performance curve, we can estimate the flow and pressure at any speed.

1694620494982.png

full

1694621077579.png

Last edited:
You can get a vacuum gauge to check the suction pressure to get a better idea of the suction pressure.

Can you check and report the System Flow, Power and Pressure at the following speeds: 1,500 RPM, 1,725 RPM, 2,350 RPM and 3,110 RPM?

Does the pressure change for different zones?

Can you describe the number of zones and the number of heads per zone?

Can you show the design diagram for the zone layout?

I have an A&A IFCS. See post #2 for my RPM and run time.
The A&A system doesn't use a pressure gauge at the water distribution valve.

Again, others system setups, RPMs and pressures won't apply to your system as every pool set up is different. You need to experiment with RPMs and runtimes to determine what works best in your pool. Start with what Caretaker recommends and tweak it from there. Others data points won't apply to your system.
Thanks but you keep trying to answer a question I am not asking. Please start your own post if you want to discuss those things. I am looking for caretaker RPM to valve psi numbers. If you think I am wasting my time then please feel free toIl ignore this thread.

Cheers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You asked a question and a factual answer was provided.

A 1.5 hp VS pump will have to run at a higher RPM than a 3 hp VS pump to provide the same water flow.

Every pool is different.
Plumbing is different.
Head loss is different.
Pumps could be different.
Filter could be different.
The list goes on.

You can't successfully compare apples to oranges.

Reactions: Newdude
You asked a question and a factual answer was provided.

A 1.5 hp VS pump will have to run at a higher RPM than a 3 hp VS pump to provide the same water flow.

Every pool is different.
Plumbing is different.
Head loss is different.
Pumps could be different.
Filter could be different.
The list goes on.

My question is for Caretaker systems and is a request for rpm and psi at the valve. Nothing more. It is not about other systems or theoretical values. Or things other people ise to show how they are the smartest person in the room.

Quit hijacking my thread please.

My question is for Caretaker systems and is a request for rpm and psi at the valve.
You have to ask about the in-floor system because different systems have a different number of heads and different orifice sizes.

If you have 3 heads with 3/8" diameter orifices, then your system will perform differently from a 4 or 5 head system with 1/2" orifices.

You also have to ask about what pump the person has because the speed vs. psi will be different from different pumps.

For example, if you had a FloPro VS on your system, your operating point at 3,000 RPM would be about 73 GPM at about 41 feet of head vs. the IntelliFlo VSF, which has an operating point of about 85 GPM at about 56 feet of head at 3,000 RPM.

The FloPro VS would need to be at 3,450 RPM to get the same operating point.

1694621077579-png.529880

1694706430286.png

Reactions: proavia
@Scowman I am going to share something with you that you have already seen BUT it tells you why your question cannot really be answered:

You have two of the smartest men I know @proavia & @JamesW trying to help you understand why your question cannot be answered. Please accept their facts and move on.

Kim TFP MOD

Reactions: Newdude and jonpcar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.