Caretaker 99 - No Pressure @ The Dome

98Landry,
Leakage is at the socket. My motor is rated 1 ph if I read it correctly. I don't know if there is enough room for me to install two seperate valves in the future. I will have to take some measurement and lay this out according.

My plan for tomorrow is to cut 2"-3" below the socket, take whole assembly to pool supplies store and get right size coupling, union, pvc glue, straight pipe and this done and over with. Thus far three days and counting...

The single 3 way valve can balance the flow the same as two 2 way valves. Likely without the possibility of restricting the flow on the pump if both valves were closed too much.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I'm thinking If he's set the three way for one quarter open to caretaker, he has the other three quarters to the returns. With separate valves, the return can be opened completely and adjusted down to bring down filter pressure. 40 lbs long term my be a problem?

98Landry,
You're correct, it is 2 hp; I was looking at Ph 1 (phase). As you can see this is getting to my head.

JB,
Thank-you for the input, but I'll live with this set up the way it is for now. I'm too afraid to touch anything, I tend to make things worst.
By looking at the photos, I don't understand why they would run the pipe to Caretaker below grade and by up again. Wouldn't it make sense to have straight run to the caretaker? The goal is to have minimal bends as possible.

I was saying your setup is fine. Using 2 valves will not affect the amount of water the pump is moving. Just adjust the valve you have to put enough water to the caretaker and the rest will go to the returns. This will give you same flow to reach leg as the 2 valves would.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

98landry said:
I'm thinking If he's set the three way for one quarter open to caretaker, he has the other three quarters to the returns. With separate valves, the return can be opened completely and adjusted down to bring down filter pressure. 40 lbs long term my be a problem?

I have the opposite thing going at the moment; 3/4 to Caretaker and 1/4 to pool return, this set up gives me 18 psi @ the dome and 32 psi @ filter. I think the cut off for the filter is set @ 40 psi? If I for 1/4 to Caretaker, I don't think the gauge at the dome would register any reading.

Cut off the lower union and took it to the pool supplies store to see if they have a what I needed. Turn out I have to order whole union assembly because the thread on this is finer than your typical union assembly from the hardware store. The o-ring on this is top flat as well. The part won't be in till Friday, coupling and pipe can be had at hardware store.

I was in the pool today and snorkeled to the bottom to look at some of the heads and noticed some of the collards are set a little below the floor (maybe 1/4") and the concrete around it was washed or blasted away by the water exiting the head. This is with the pressure at the dome reading around 8 psi. If I increase the float to these heads, wouldn't it blast away more concrete around the collards and create potential leakage? I don't know what is your typical pool floor thickness is, but I do have reservation about increasing the pressure. If I don't increase the pressure then the head will not work as designed. Thought?

When the system was running at 18 psi, the water exiting the nozzles is pretty strong; over time, I have no doubt it would blast away any concrete in its path. Also, how do I remove rust/brown/black spots on the pool floor?

My worst fear came true...
I purchased the union and proceed to the installation; dry fitted everything and everything seemed to fit according to measurement (nothing bottomed out). Applied glue to existing pipe and new coupler, connected to two and knew I was in trouble; the coupler bottomed out, the new straight pipe bottomed out, and the socket on new male union was in 2/3 on the new straight pipe to maintain the correct height. So now I have the same problem, leakage around the socket of the union. I'm out $35.00 on the new coupler, straight pipe, and union and sweat. At the moment, I don't feel so good and trying very hard not to cursed...
This is very frustrating!
Any suggestion(s) other than redo the whole thing again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.