Care to help me troubleshoot a Coverstar shifter?

Nochka

Mar 12, 2012
Stone Mountain, GA
I have a Coverstar cover that won’t open or close reliably. The issue is the double-dog shifter, which is supposed to engage the drive shaft, but instead spins freely. Wondering if anyone has experience with this issue and can suggest a remedy.

Here’s how these mechanisms are supposed to work. (Link goes to YT.)

Here’s what mine does (spins freely before sometimes finally engaging). (Link goes to iCloud.)

I’ve removed, cleaned and lubricated the mechanism but there was no improvement. I can reach into the well and spin the mechanism to engage the shifter manually, but that requires lifting a heavy stone that covers the well. Applying slight pressure on the mechanism while it spins will also get it to engage.

If you’re wondering why I don’t call Coverstar… I did. They said it's $325/hour to take a look — including the time they spend driving — even though the unit failed after only 13 months.

Reactions: Jejunum
$325/hr for drive time??? That's Coverstar's way of saying "take a hike, we don't support our products." (Unless they're a mile away from you.)

Where are you located? You might be able to find an independent company to repair it. Here in the Bay Area, we have Pool Covers, Inc. who I believe services multiple brands.

I’m 45 minutes south of Atlanta. Coverstar is 45 minutes north of Atlanta. So 3 hours roundtrip.

I would LOVE to find an independent repair person.

Maybe I should fly to the Bay Area and pay your independent repair person $100 to look at my video.

It’d literally be cheaper.

Reactions: newdude
Did you try calling AquaSafe Pool Covers in Suwanee? I have no idea if they service your area or even your model cover but a phone call is pretty inexpensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.