Carbon Dioxide verse HCL for pH control

LLemasters

In The Industry
Aug 28, 2023
Abuquerque, NM
Hello everyone,
I'm in the water industry and had a client ask for acid injection for pH control that would replace Carbo Dioxide.

From what I found from some research Carbon Dioxide has some great benefits but has issues with high hardness.

If this is not the forum to discuss or get input, could I ask you to send me in the right direction for more information for pros and cons on the above?

Regards, Larry

Carbon dioxide is great for pH control if you can source it cheaply (it’s expensive in many areas) and if your fill water alkalinity is low. Injecting CO2 does not reduce TA and so if a pool normally needs acid to control TA (like my pool does), then CO2 injection doesn’t make sense. It’s just cheaper and easier to use MA. I don’t even automate acid injection because my water chemistry has good stability. If you manage it right, you only need to add acid every 10-14 days. If you manage it incorrectly or are dealing with a new plaster surface, manual acid additions could be a daily a thing.

Thank you! TA is high and Im going to get some readings next week. Hardness was over 500ppm and I found some info that CO2 start to react with minerals above 300 and this is most likely why they are using so much gas.

Really glad I found this site.

While you're at it, also take a TA reading of the fill water.

And to avoid confusion upfront: Report TA as it comes from the Taylor drop test, no adjustments, we let PoolMath do the required adjustments backstage to calculate CSI. All TFP recommendations are based on actual "total" alkalinity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.