Captain Sander

So home warranty company sends out a local pool guy to look at it for me. He said parts for that valve are 600$ and new filter is only 800$ since price is so close he is gonna try to get warranty company to replace my filter too since it's 20+ years old

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would definitely try for that. Honestly speaking, a 20-year old filter has seen it's useful life. Too bad you couldn't have gotten that wrapped up at closing with a lower price. Another good reason to ditch it is the metal (brass) backwash valve. For pools, you want as few metal components as possible in contact with the pool water to avoid metal contamination.

Remember though, the warranty company is going to try to go as cheap as possible. With pool filters, bigger is ALWAYS better and you are going to want to get the biggest possible filter you can. I have a DE filter and I love it, but it's not for everyone (some folks hate DE backwashing and recharging). You can get a big sand filter for cheap BUT the filtration quality is lower. Cartridge filters are a happy medium between the two. One other thought too is to check local pool codes. Some municipalities have outlawed the use of DE and while that filter would probably be grandfathered in, a new upgrade would have to follow local code.

I honestly am not sure the proper way to deal with d.e. Filters. Growing up my parents had a above ground with sand filter. I am just not sure about the recharging part yet

Edit:
The warranty company must match or beat the type and size of my filter it would just be an issue of quality.

Is it at all possible to get info on the size (sq. ft) of the current filter? How often did the previous owner need to backwash and recharge?

The point is, pools are very often built with undersized filters. So the current filter may not be correctly (as we at TFP define it) sized for your pool. What I would hate to see the warranty company do is put on a filter that is not sized right and then you have a great, brand new DE filter that you have to constantly backwash to keep the pressure in check.

DE filters have the finest grade of filtration (3-6micron particle size) because the filter mesh is impregnanted with diatomaceous earth. So, when you backwash a DE filter, you essentially flush out approximately half the DE in it and that has to be recharged each time you backwash. 25lbs of DE costs roughly $36. Depending on the size of the filter you may use 4-6lbs of DE with every backwash. So if your filter is undersized, then the pressure will rise frequently and you'll be using a lot of DE.

Cartridge filters are just big filter bodies with one or more cartridges in them. There's no backwashing involved as you simply disassemble the filter when the pressure rises and wash the cartridge off with a garden hose. Cartridge filters are usually good for ~ 10-15micron particle size.

Sand requires backwashing but there's no recharging of the media, just backwash, clean and go. Sand filters don't do much better than 30micron particle size. You can add small amounts of DE to a sand filter to improve filtration performance but you must recharge the DE with every backwash.

Before you sign off on the warranties company's proposed fix, please post the details here and we can help you sort it out if it's a good deal or not. Some warranty companies will offer the option of just paying you in cash if you don't like what they offer so you may be able to get some cash from the warranty company and add in some of your own to get the best filter option for your pool. Though if you don't take their offer, you may have to do the installation and PVC plumbing work yourself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The current filter is a Anthony Apollo va-52. Which from what I googled is 52 sq ft. Lol should have figured lol the pool is somewhere between 22-26k gallons. I'm not 100% sure due to it being a free formed kidney shape.

The filter (52 sq ft) seems fairly undersized to me relative to the pool volume and 1-1/2HP pump. Others with more pump/filter experience will have to chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to measure your pool volume using a chemical method, see this post - A Chemical Way of Calculating Pool Volume.

I'm still trying to figure out if your pump is properly matched to your filter size. Unfortunately, that Hayward pump is discontinued and the old Anthony DE filters are very hard to find any information on. Can you also try to locate some serial numbers or model numbers off your pump as there are many different types of Hayward NorthStar pumps?

Hey Captain,

I am happy for you and a little envious. Your paradise has great potential and it is always exciting to see what it was when you started and what it looks like when your done. Keep us posted on your progress, we can't wait to see it in the Spring.

Mike
USAqua
803-760-7000

Got new valve only... Back washed filter and finally got pressure down below 30psi, Lol got it down to 5psi. But then things still didn't go right. After the filter was running for under 30 minutes, the psi climbed back up to 30psi, and the pump seems to get air in it. I also noticed that the water level in the pump, when you shut it off, actually goes down to below in intake side. And when I turn pump back on it doesn't seem to pull the water in correctly.